Thirty One

Elijah arrived outside Diana's building. He buttoned his suit before stepping inside. He took the elevator up to her floor. Outside, her secretary Kim was waiting with a nasty look.

"I need to see Miss Frost, please," Elijah cleared his throat.

Kim didn't change her expression as she continued with her work.  "Miss Frost is not available at this moment. Her schedule is booked,"

He leaned over, checking the schedule. It was pretty much empty.
"I need to speak to her," He replied

"Well then, Mr MacArthur, you can wait,"  Kim scolded.

Elijah scoffed as he walked over to the seats and sat down. He took out his phone but his eyes were focused on Kim. Kim got up and walked into the office. Diana appeared at the door and called him in.

"What do you want?" Diana sat back down in the chair

"You know the reason for my success, Diana. I don't mix business with pleasure. That was until you. Now, why did you reschedule today's meeting?" He demanded, easily towering over her. He tucked one hand into his pocket as he waited for answers

"Something came up. My entire world doesn't revolve around you," She explained

"Okay. Make sure it doesn't happen again. Personal relationships shouldn't affect professional relationships," He repeated what he told himself for years

"Got it,"

Elijah nodded and walked to the door. He opened it and left. "Bye Kim," He waved at the secretary.

"Bye Mr MacArthur," She gritted through her teeth

He got into his car and drove back to the office.

***

"Who am I going to take to Dexter's party?" Elijah sat down. He glanced at his younger brother and Paul

"Clearly, not Diana, after what you did," Paul shook his head.

"Bro, that was mean," Silas said

"I don't do relationships. I don't do love, and I certainly don't mix business and pleasure."

"You care about her. That's why you pushed her away. Deep down, you're scared of rejection like Patricia hurt you 10 years ago," Paul said

"Excuse me, you work for me," Elijah reminded

"I'm saying it as your friend. You saved me from a doomed life, so I'm throwing my hand to you. Don't let her go,"

"And what if she's not the right person,"

"Then you loved and lost. It's how the world works." Paul sighed

"I don't like it. Being vulnerable is not something I'm willing to put myself in,"

"Either you do or that woman who clearly is crazy enough to like you walks away,"

"Dammit, how do I put this right?" He glanced at Paul and Silas. They both turned to him.

"Well, I've got a plan,"

***

Elijah sighed, brushing his hair back. He went over the plan in his head. It was a long shot, but he was willing to try.

He fixed the collar of his navy velvet blazer. He stared in the mirror and decided to lose the tie.

Casual worked

It was an event. It's not a business deal. He walked out to the car as his driver waited outside. He climbed in as the car started moving. He leaned back, watching New York pass by as he went over the plan.