thirty-two ; only one

Start from the beginning

She smiled sarcastically at him, spinning to see Stefan there, having heard the entire thing. "Oh look at what we have here, a hero." She glared at him distastefully before calling out, "Klaus!"

The hybrid entered the room, Rebekah following. Both held a smirk directed toward her. And Melody knew why. They heard what she said as well. They stood on either side of the fairytale woman, watching as Stefan deposited the duffel bag onto the floor. 

He looked at the three. "I'm here to make a deal. Eight stakes made of white oak. The part of Wickery Bridge that you forgot to burn."

"That's impossible," Rebekah pointed out. She was sure she had burned all of what was left. Apparently not. Klaus shot her a look.

"Actually it's not," Stefan shrugged. "Finn is dead."

The news settled and Melody's eyes widened. No. Sure she didn't like him but that didn't mean that he didn't deserve happiness like the rest of his siblings. Esther and Mikael were the ones who needed to burn, not Finn. He was finally happy with his love and now, he was dead.

Rebekah was in shock, tears in her eyes. Klaus tensed. He didn't say anything that said he was angry, he didn't need to. Melody could tell. Stefan stayed calm. "Damon in exchange for the last eight weapons that can kill you."

"And how do I know there aren't any more left?" Klaus questioned. Stefan told him that there weren't but none of them trusted his word, not anymore. "Let's be certain, shall we?" He went over to Damon, compelling him. "Leave. Go home."

The vampire was pale from the Dreamshade, weak but strong enough to start doing what he was compelled to do. Damon started to pull a wrist out from the snares, peeling the flesh off of it in the process. He screamed in pain and Melody shut her eyes, blocking out the noise.

Klaus didn't seem to notice, too involved in taking out his anger. "Alright, stop, stop, stop, before you hurt yourself. Well, seeing that he can finally be compelled. Now." He grabbed Damon's throat and compelled him again. "Minus the stake that's in my brother, how many more stakes are out there that can kill me?"

"Eleven."

She opened her eyes to scowl at Stefan who finally showed emotion. Defeat. Melody shook her head. "Shouldn't have lied, Stefan. It doesn't do you any good." There was a tad bit of concern but it was unrecognizable to everyone in the room. It was barely there.

"I'll get you the other three," he vowed.

"Yeah, that'll be nice," Klaus said sarcastically. "Or since you lied, maybe I'll just compel your brother to chew out his own tongue." Melody turned to look at him. He was angry because of Finn but wouldn't admit to it. She kept silent as Stefan asked the hybrid what was wrong with him. "What is wrong with you?! Do you really have no appreciation for me? I have given you someone to hate, to loathe, a target for all of your anger; so you don't have to turn it on yourself. I have given your life purpose, as your friend." He laughed. "I really think you should be thanking me."

Melody finally spoke up, whispering, "Klaus."

Before he could so much as begin to turn his head to look back at her, Stefan sped to Klaus and pinned him against a wall with a white oak stake in hand. She was quick to act, using her magic to appear right behind Stefan, aiming one of the white oak stakes from the bag at his back. "Do it, I dare you." The Salvatore backed down, loosening his grip on the stake so Klaus could grab it from him.

She stepped back away from him at the same time Rebekah spoke up. "This is ridiculous." The blonde went over to Damon and released him from the traps. He fell to his knees, weak from the Dreamshade.