thirty-two ; only one

Beginne am Anfang

Deep down, she knew that these things she was doing for the Mikaelsons were making her heart black. But did she care? Not at all. Because they meant something to her and she was going to help in any way she could. It was humorous how she had ventured to Mystic Falls to see new sights. And yet she ended in taking up residence in the town and going on another adventure, one that didn't seem to be ending anytime soon. Did she care? Not at all.

Eventually, Finn came in to deliver his blood, leaving only Klaus. The hybrid entered the room. "How is the spell coming along?" He was used to hearing chanting but he reminded himself that Melody didn't need to. All she had to do was shut her eyes, focus, and then the spell was done.

"Alright I guess," she replied smoothly. "I've never done an unlinking spell before and I'm trying to be careful just in case me tampering with the spell kills you all." Right after she answered him, a scream emitted from another room. It was obviously Damon and Melody cracked a smile. "Seems as though Rebekah used to dreamshade."

Klaus rose an eyebrow. "So you gave her that?"

"Mhm. I keep a bottle on me on just in case." She extended her hand to him. "Hand please." He did so and she took out a knife, cutting along his hand and then twisting it so the blood dripped in a glass. Once she let go, Klaus pulled his hand back. Melody took a deep breath, grabbing all of the vials and then a wooden bowl. "Let's pray that this works and I don't screw up."

He still stood there, certainty clouding his eyes. "I'm sure you will succeed."

She sent him a nervous smile. Her hands were shaking a bit as she mixed all of the vials of blood together in the bowl. If she screwed this up, every vampire in existence would die. And she would never forgive herself, ever. The next thing she did was pour the blood from the bowl onto the table. While she despised the word soulmate, if Klaus were to die, she would lose her soulmate. Never again would she have love because he was her love. Just thinking it didn't make it real. She still didn't believe it.

Melody hovered her hands over the blood, shutting her eyes. Her magic burned hotter than it ever had before, indicating a powerful spell. She kept her breath steady. And to help, she thought of it as archery. Steady, aim, release. "Why am I doing this?" she said aloud, remembering something Gold had told her before. "To save the people I care about." Klaus watched her with curiosity, watching the blood disperse into five different circles. "Who am I protecting? The Mikaelsons."

The flames of the candles flared up as the blood separated further. She squeezed her eyes closed, tighter as she held her hands steady, giving the spell her all. And then like with the locator spell, the thickness in the air was cut off, the candles went out, and Melody's eyes opened with a gasp escaping her lips.

"I did it." She looked shocked as she moved her head up to look at him. "I did it." The female grinned, jumping up and wrapping her arms around his neck with a giddy laugh. Klaus was taken aback before he hesitantly hugged back, smiling at her happiness.

"I told you, love. Melody Mills never fails."

———

Melody stood in the doorway of the room where the ball had taken place, watching Damon hang there, bloody and beaten. His head hung low but he knew she was there from the way he laughed painfully. "Come to enjoy the show, lost girl?"

"That's what you get for messing with a woman," she told him, face expressionless compared to how not even ten minutes ago she was dancing around the living room with excitement for completely a difficult spell. "You deserve this. Say, didn't you abuse and use Caroline once?" 

He looked up at her with a tired look to see her still not showing any emotion. "I still can't believe you sided with them."

"And I still can't believe that you think I'll side with you and your brother after what you did." She pushed herself through the doorway, approaching him. "Before you start spouting nonsense, check the facts, Damon. The Mikaelsons are family and deserve to be happy. Getting rid of them isn't going to be as easy as Elena Gilbert switching between you and Stefan."