Chapter 1

"Baby,I will be leaving tomorrow remember?", my dad asked.

    " Yea,how can I forget. So I won't see you till next year and you aren't going to attend my matriculation ",I said sadly as I lowered my head.

   "Hey Pearl, (he lifted my jaw to meet his face) you will take pictures ryt? You can always send it to me and I know Mrs Johnson will take good care of you. And you always have Mil and Seb is there,they are your family too. Your mum will be proud of you,she will be proud of the woman you are growing up to become", he said. Its really strange hearing my dad talk about my mum. When I try to bring up my mother he avoids it. So hearing him talk about my mum is amazing.

     " About mum? When are you going to tell me all about her? All I have are pictures,can you tell me about her? ",I asked because I wasn't sure he will tell me about her.

    " Not now, baby. I will tell you about her when you are 20 years old," he promised.

"Promise?" I asked

"I promise", he said

There was a knock at the door,so I went to check who it was. As I opened the door I saw my best friend.

" What are you doing here? ",I asked as I stood beside the door.

" Well,I am here to take you home. Can I come in?",she said.

"Who is that?", my dad asked from the kitchen.

" it's me,dad. Good evening Sir",Mil yelled so my dad can hear her from the kitchen as she pushed me and entered.

"If you knew you were going to push me, why did you ask if you could come in", I asked her as I closed the door.

" You didn't want me to come in,what did you expect? You know I don't like repeating the same thing twice",she said as she went to the kitchen to grab something to eat.

"Why are you here by this time? Isn't it early?", my dad asked Mil.

" Well, its not dad. Mum wanted me to pick her up on time. And perhaps I wanted to say bye to you before you leave. Why didn't you buy nutella? Yea,mayonnaise",she said, My dad just looked at her and shaked his head.

"I will be downstairs in a minute, let me get my bags." I said. I know she won't hear me because once she sees mayonnaise and bread or nutella and bread,she will ignore you cause she is in a world of her own.

Few minutes later,I am downstairs with my bag. I see her talking to my dad in the dinning room.

"Hey Mil. Let's go" I said as I reached the dinning room.

"Can't we stay a little longer,dad is telling me something important,please", she begged.

" Fine but I will tell mum you were the one delaying ",I threatened

" Fine ",she said as she stood up.

" Won't you help me in carrying my luggage's?",I asked.

"No. Bye dad,see you when next you come back. When you get to Nigeria please get me something nice,okay dad?", she asked my dad as she kissed his cheek.

" Sure honey. "my dad said.

" I will meet you in the car",she said as she shut the door.

"Bye dad. See you next year or when you decide to visit. Take good care of yourself for me,okay dad?", I asked.

" Sure,I will. I love you Pearl. Make daddy proud",he said as he kissed my cheek.

"I will make you proud, love you too" I said as I waved and shut the door behind me.

I will so get Mil for not helping me with my bag. I know you must be wondering where I am going to. Well, Mil is driving me to her place. Since my dad is travelling to Nigeria and won't be back till next year I will stay at Mil's place. And besides I and Mil will be going to the University of South Africa. I got admission to study psychology. Mil got admission to study Medicine.

Milana is my best friend, she has been my best friend since I was three years old. She can sleep over at my place anytime and I can sleep over at her place anytime. Mil hates it when she's been called by her full name. Mil has an elder brother who schools in University of South Africa. He is studying Engineering. While her mum is a surgeon and her dad is the head of defense.

I on the other hand, I am an only child. I grew up with my father,Ebuka Adebisi. My mum died when I was little atleast that's what my dad said. My dad is a medical doctor. I HV never been to Nigeria for more than five days. Whenever I go to Nigeria,I follow Mil's family for the death anniversary of Mrs Johnson best friend Kamsi Kingsley.

"How do you feel going to the same university with your crush?",Mil asked as she drove home.

" To be sincere, I am scared and happy. I just have a feeling it will be a long year. What about you?",I asked trying to avoid the topic been about me.

"Well I don't know. I don't want to expect anything because I don't want to get disappointed.", she said her eyes still glued to the road.

" What of if you come in contact with Charles? ",I asked.

Charles is her runaway crush, she has had a crush on him for four years or so. He doesn't HV anybody's time,he is a quiet,arrogant boy but he is cute -according to Mil.

"Well I don't know. Let's watch and see what's going to happen", she said.

" By the way,mum said we will be going to the mall on Friday to get new things. So make a list as usual. ",she informed me.

"This will be a long year", she said.

P.S: Please don't forget to add to your reading list and please don't forget to vote and comment.