Mountains •nine•

I searched through my bad for something a little dressy. I didn't want to go all out so I decided on a flowey white floral printed shirt, black shorts, and sandals. I plugged the curling iron on to tame the mess on my head called hair.

I finished my hair and then did light makeup. I literally only did foundation and mascara because I'm not trying to look caked. Once I was satisfied with how I looked I walked out into the living room to see Shawn standing in front of the couch in a white button up dress shirt, black skinny jeans, and black velvety boots.

he stood by the kitchen bar with his car keys in one hand and his phone in the other. I closed my bedroom door getting his attention. he looked up from his phone and looked me up and down.

I bit my lip and tried not to get too self conscious.

"You look amazing." Shawn said finally meeting my eyes.

"You don't look too bad yourself Mendes." I said trying to play off my rosy red cheeks.

He smiled and looked down.

"You ready for some amazing cheesecake?" He asked raising an eyebrow as he opened the door.

"Duh." I said making him laugh a little as we walked out of the hotel room.

"Mendes." Shawn told the waiter when we walked in. He looked down at his clipboard and nodded signaling us to follow him.

I was a little surprised. I didn't know Shawn made reservations, but I'm glad he did because if he wouldn't have we would be waiting for hours.

We were guided to a booth in the very back. I was a little relived that Shawn hadn't been noticed. He didn't want to cause a big scene.

We slid into the booths and picked up the menus.

"What can I get you guys to drink?" A waiter wearing a apron around his waist with a black cloth hanging out.

"Water please." I said when he looked at me.

"Water for me as well please." Shawn said with a small smile.

"Okay, and by the way man my daughters love your music." The waiter said in almost a whisper to Shawn. I thought it was really nice of him to say it quietly.

"I could sign something for them if you'd like." Shawn said with a bright smile. My heart swelled seeing his joy.

"That would mean a lot to them." He said taking out a pen and a piece of paper that was used to take orders.

Shawn wrote a little message to the girls and signed his name at the bottom with a heart.

"Thank you." He said as he took the note from Shawn. He shook Shawn's hand before going to get our drinks.

"What are you thinking about getting?" Shawn asked after a few minutes of us looking over all the varieties of meals.

"The bang bang chicken," I said before looking up at him. He was skimming over the menu. "What about you?"

"The dame thing actually." He said smiling up at me. I smiled also and closed the menu.

The waiter came back out with our drinks.

"Have you guys decided on what you would like to eat?" He asked taking the pen and paper out of his apron.

"I would like to have the bang bang chicken please." I ordered. He nodded and wrote it down before looking over at Shawn.

"The same thing as her." He said as he closed his menu and handed it to him. I did the same and he then walked away.

"Remember when we came here when you got all A's on your report card in 7th grade?" Shawn asked before taking a sip of his water.

"Yeah," I said, "that was a fun night." I said reminiscing on the memory with a small smile on my face.

"We had a lot of fun times." Shawn said looking into my eyes.

"Yeah we did."  I agreed as I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I really can't express how sorry I am, I promise that I will never do something like that to you ever again." Shawn apologized again.

"It's okay, what matters is that we are still best friends." I said trying to make him lighten up a bit. I know that Shawn was sincerely sorry and wouldn't do that again.

After eating a wonderful meal and eating way too big of a slice of cheesecake.  I should get it was time to go back to the hotel, or so I thought.

"Shawn where are we going?" I asked looking over at him confused.

"You'll see." He said glancing over at me with a bright smile before turning his attention back on the road.

I had no idea where Shawn was taking me, but I was really excited to see what it was.

"Okay, close your eyes and no peeking." Shawn said as the car started to come to a stop. I had no idea where we were or what Shawn was doing but I did as told. I closed my eyes. Shawn jogged over to my side of the car and helped me out. He guided me with his large hands over my eyes.

"1," he counted down softly, "2, 3." On the count of three he uncovered my eyes and I was speechless.

Shawn took me to a beautiful lookout of the mountains. You could see all the way down off the mountain we were on and then all of the other ones surrounding it. Since the sun wasn't complete gone you could see it disappearing behind the mountains.

"Really? I was worried you wouldn't like it and I just-," I cut his rambling off.

"It's beautiful." I said making him looked relieved as a smile appeared on his face.

"This is the best part." Shawn said jogging over to his car. I stood their confused for a second until I heard a familiar melody. "If I could fly," by one direction played through his speakers. He hopped out as the song filled my ears.

"Shawn thank you for bringing me. It's perfect." I said turning to face him beside me.

"You're welcome. I couldn't bring you up here without taking you to the actual mountains." He said with a small smile.

It was in that moment when I was looking into his warm chocolatey brown eyes and the soft one direction song that I realized that Shawn was more than a friend to me. He was the person that no matter what happened to us we found a way back to each other, he was the person that would stay up with me until he sun rises just because I couldn't sleep, he was the one that i always wanted to be with and never got tired of. He was my person, even if I wasn't his.