"i'm sorry."

rain pounded against my bedroom window. thunder shook the house after a bright light lighting up my room. i hid underneath my covers as i watched the tv show friends. it was a stormy friday night that i was spending by myself. 

after about 3 episodes of friends i heard my doorbell ring. it was strange that someone would stop by at this hour, and because of the weather. when i opened the door i wanted to slam it in his face. 

"y/n, please." shawn said stopping me from closing the door. i looked at his dripping wet hair, bloodshot eyes, and soaked clothes. 

"what are you doing here?" i asked crossing my arms over my chest. 

"i'm sorry." he said with sadness in his voice. 

"why are you apologizing after all these years?" i asked confused. why was my ex boyfriend at my house in the middle of the night during a thunder storm? it's been  years since we broke up. plus he's married now, and has a daughter. i remember hearing about them having a daughter together a  while back when they were just dating. 

"because today i recognized the pain i caused you in my daughters eyes." 

i dont really know what this is. i read it somewhere and wanted to add my own twist on it. when i read the last line it kind of just hit me.