twenty-eight ; stories written in tattoos

Start from the beginning

Jumping back up, she went over and stood in front of him. "What about you?" she questioned. "Any tattoos?" The question was a bit personal. But Klaus didn't seem to mind because he did respond with a nod.

"I do." She raised an eyebrow. "That would require me to take my shirt off, love."

Melody's blush that had dulled from earlier came back. "Then take your shirt off." He was surprised by her bold comment. Klaus did as she said and put his paintbrush down, maneuvering around so he could face her. Taking his jacket off, followed by his shirt, the fairytale girl was greeted by his naked chest, a feather tattoo that flocked into birds on his left shoulder. She hadn't noticed it before and suddenly asked herself why she hadn't.

Her expression was unreadable as Melody stepped forward, hesitantly placing her hand on it. She traced it with her hand and Klaus watched her to see any reaction she gave. "What does it mean?" Looking up at him, her eyes were soft yet they pierced into his fiercely. The hybrid struggled to answer because the contact they were having was so strong. He was positive that he hadn't felt this feeling before.

"Freedom of birds," he finally explained. "Their inspiration. In Indian culture, feathers symbolized the rebirth of life. After many years of being nothing more than an Original vampire, I thought it was fitting. Becoming a vampire, living through the years and watching empires rise and fall, I got this tattoo as a reminder of who I've become."

She continued to stare back at him. "Are you proud of who you've become?" Another extremely personal question. There was an odd sensation in the room that fitted around like a blanket. They stood close to one another, her hand placed on him while both his hands stayed placed at his side. Klaus wanted to reach out to her, grab her hips and bring her close. By the Gods, she was so mesmerizing. If he could just close the space—

"I don't know," he replied with complete honesty. "With all the people I've killed, the things I did to my siblings, I don't think I'm ever going to be proud." The answer rolled off of his tongue without him even meaning to. But whenever she was with him, he couldn't help himself. All of the tension seemed to be lifted from his shoulders and so he spoke whatever was on his mind.

Melody hummed thoughtfully, her blush had disappeared. "One day you'll wake up and you will be." She didn't move when she continued on. "Do you have another one?"

Klaus nodded. "Yes." He turned around so she could see the one on his back. It was a plain open triangle located on his right shoulder blade. Within a few seconds, he felt her fingers trace it, her sigh of content following after. "It has a scared meaning: male power, creativity, flame, equilibrium of different forces in cultures across the world. Through the years I witnessed people fighting for what they truly believed in. This is a reminder that I haven't found what I believe in yet."

"You make it sound sad," she pointed out. Klaus turned around to face her again. The sensation that bubbled in his chest increased. He couldn't help but marvel at everything about her. Melody was stunning with her chocolate brown eyes and matching hair. Her skin was a normal complexion and was smooth to the touch. The wit and sarcasm she carried were just as strong as her glare. Not to be cliche, but her smile could save humanity just as well as damning the devil himself.

Leaning closer to her, Melody's breath hitched, only to realize he wasn't going to kiss her chapped lips. Instead, he pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek. She was speechless as he pulled back to look at her. "That's because it's the truth. I haven't found something to believe in." Klaus smiled at her, rubbing one hand on the cheek he kissed. "Now, you must be hungry."

Her stomach growled, interrupting their moment and they both laughed, smiles overtaking their faces. Melody nodded. "Yes, I'm starving."

———