Chapter Twenty Eight

"How have you been?", Cole asked me after he gave me a long, tight hug since Cole and Lili stayed the night out last night so it's our first encounter since the weekends.

"I've been good. I'm actually fine. I already bawled my eyes out and other than that, I'm fine", I replied. Dylan helped me out to forget about what happened but I don't exactly want to tell Cole because though he knows I am with Dylan the entire time, I don't want him to feel bad and blame himself for not being there.

"Joe called me and wanted to talk to you after class. Are you cool with it or do you want me to come with you or you don't want to?" he got this worried look in his face. I never seen Cole this concern for me.

Last year, when we also had a family dinner, my father treated me like shit and I stayed there the entire time though I really want to go. My mom was not there at the time as I assumed that they were still not okay. Also, I only said yes because I don't want Frankie to think I'm stopping my father from coming in to our lives. But it was the worst night ever as my father constantly praises my brothers and ignores me whenever my brother tries to boast about my achievements. After that dinner, I called Cole and we just spent the time together as I bawled my eyes out. He was always there whenever I am in need but he never got this look before. The look that looks like he is guilty because he can't do anything. From the one year I known him, I can now easily read him.

"You can come with me. And Cole, drop those thoughts. You're one of the reasons why I am fine, okay?", I reassured him as I gave him a big hug again.

"How was Dylan treating you?", he suprisingly asked as the images from our hotel moments flashed at the back of my mind, causing me to bite my lip. Gosh, he still has an effect on me.

"He was very gentle and he treated me alright", I answered with a little lowkey inside meaning.

Later, our professor arrived and we had our class. After class, we headed to the diner to meet with Joe. When we got there, Joe and Nick were already in our favorite booth, Dylan and I's. I thought Joe was the only one who'll meet us today.

They saw me and hugged me tightly.

"Where were you?", Joe immediately asked as I chuckled and told him to take our seat first.

"I'm fine, okay? I just overreacted and stuff. You should have given me a heads up that our father was there", I said, raising my voice a little bit because though I'm ready to talk to him, I'm still pissed at him.

"I'm sorry but I'm worried sick about you, Jassy. Dad wants to apologize to you and I figured you wouldn't come if I told you he's there" he explained but his tone sounded like he's telling me it's my fault.

"What kind of bullshit is that, Joe? Of course, I won't go. Do you wanna know why? Not because I don't want his apology nor I don't want him in general but because I don't want to treat myself like that anymore, staying even I badly want to go. I can't do that to myself. Also, if he would really want to sincerely apologize, he should be the one who invited me." I retorted, walking outside the diner to stop myself from causing a scene inside. Joe and Cole followed me outside as Joe grasped my shoulder to stop me from walking any further.

"Jassy, you know him well enough and his pride but he sincerely wants to", Nick spoke this time and defended our father, the same man who mistreated and downgraded me and ignored my existence for years.

"Stop rationalizing his pride. You know well enough that he is only doing that to get mom back but the second you all turn around, he'll treat me like shit and let alone threaten me", I groaned as I grabbed Cole's wrist and told him that we have to go because I don't want to talk to my brothers again.

"Stop making dad as an excuse for your absence because the real reason why you walked away is to spend the night with Dylan" Nick accused as I stopped and looked back at him. "Yes, our little Jassy chose to have Dylan than to reunite with her family"

I immediately slapped him, "You know that night, I didn't choose him over all of you but today, I'm glad that I was with him over you." I spat as I walked away with Cole again, asking him to take me home as Joe tried to stop us but eventually gave up when I took the seat inside Cole's car.

"Drive her home safely, man. Jassy, I'm sorry" Joe said and apologized as Cole and I took off. I instantly cried when we took off as Cole drove faster, soothing and trying to comfort me along the way.

When we reached our dorm and walked inside my room, I immediately hugged Lili who is sitting on her bed and cried my eyes out. Cole excused himself that he'll buy something for us to eat as I just continued crying.

After Cole left, I explained to Lili everything from the restaurant, to what happened in the hotel including what Dylan and I did, to telling Cole about last night and up to the confrontation between my brothers.

"I'm already over on what ever happened that night when I saw my father in the restaurant. Dylan already took that sadness out. I'm not even crying on how Joe and Nick defended my father. I'm crying because when Nick questioned me about spending the night with Dylan, Cole was there. He looked at me and waited me to deny their accusations but I couldn't. I am lying to my best friend because well in fact, I already fell for his brother and we did something that night. I promised Cole that he would be the first one to know everything but I'm seeing Dylan behind his back though he banned me from doing so. Cole is being the best friend I ever had but I'm lying infront of him. Lili, I want to tell him everything but I'm afraid if I tell him now, it's too late and he would never ever forgive me." I cried, explaining to Lili why I'm really crying. I can't do it anymore. I can no longer look in Cole's eyes and tell him bullshit. He doesn't deserve that.

From day 1, he kept bugging me about Dylan and I and all I did was shrug him off and get annoyed by him. He warned me about Dylan's personality but I never listened to him. He banned me from seeing Dylan alone but I lie in his face, telling him that I'm indeed ignoring Dylan but in fact, I'm always in Dylan's room. He also warned me about giving in Dylan's so-called needs and I told him that I would never ever give in but I did.

"Hush, Jasmine. You are in love so no words of your best friend makes sense and I assure you that Cole would be mad but after some time, he would forgive you." Lili comforted me but I do wish it's true but knowing Cole, I doubt it because if ever I was in the same place with Cole, I would never forgive myself too.

"I'm sorry if I also let you in this stupid lie", I apologized to Lili because this is also a factor that can jeopardize their relationship especially they value honesty in theirs.

"There's no such thing as stupid when you're in love, Jassy", she laughed as she wiped the tears on my face.

I'm happy Cole dated a wonderful girl like Lili because he deserves someone like her in her life unlike his lying best friend.

I guess I need to straighten this lie and turn it to the truth. This may hurt Dylan and I but we deserve this. So even it breaks my heart, I would choose Cole over mine that's why whatever Dylan and I have will be over. I know I already love him and it's easier said than done but I have no choice. I can't lose my best friend.