Chapter 56 "Mollie has a thing with Jason Woods"

I applied the last dusting of highlighter on my cheekbones, nose, forehead and chin, getting ready to go to my parents for Thanksgiving. I saw that Colby had left to go back to Kansas for Thanksgiving. I felt a little sad since we hadn't spoke since we broke up. I wish it hadn't of came to that but when you fuck up you've gotta take the heat for it. In this case we were both hurting because we both had fucked up. Brennen left the apartment early to go to his mom's, leaving me alone to get ready and then skidaddle. As I realised the time, I quickly gathered my things and left, driving away from the apartment and off to my parents' place.

When I got there, I saw my aunt and uncle's car, knowing my cousins would be here. I walked inside and the smell of the dinner made my stomach grumble with anticipation to get to the food already. My aunt and uncle greeted me along with the rest of my family. I noticed my Grandma was also here. I headed over to talk to her, happy to see her.

"Hey Grandma!" I sat down next to her, watching her eyes light up at my presence.

"Oh Briana, it's so nice to see you again" she smiled before going into a bad coughing fit, her health clearly not as good as it used to be.

"Same to you Grandma. How're things?" I ask, watching her bring her handbag up to her lap as she rummaged through it.

"Oh great and what about you? Are you still working as a barista?" She looked up for a moment before back down to her handbag, pulling her purse out and flicking through her notes.

"I'm okay and no, I've moved onto to better things" I nodded as she slipped me a twenty dollar bill, winking for me not to tell my mom. She always did this. She'd slip you money and make sure you never said anything about it.

"Grandma you don't-"

"Shh!" She hushed me. I looked shocked for a moment before I tapped my finger against the side of my nose, slipping the money into my pocket.

"Dinner!" My mom yelled. Everybody ran to the dinner table, me staying back to help my grandma. My mom definitely was the best when it came to cooking. She always made the best food. She for sure got it from my grandma. We talked around the table and did our Thanksgiving things.

Around a few hours later, everything was done and everybody was leaving. I stayed behind to talk to my siblings and dad, since I hadn't saw them in a while.

"Have you got a boyfriend?" Mollie asked, pushing her curly brown hair behind her ears.

"Well I did but, it didn't work" I coughed. "What about you?"

"Mollie has a thing with Jason Woods" Calum smirked, Mollie hitting him harshly with a pillow.

"What about you Cal? I'm sure you have a girlfriend" I teased, watching him blush like crazy in embarrassment.

"What's this about girlfriends and boyfriends?" My dad walked in, looking around at us three.

"Nothing" I giggled. Mollie and Calum went to their rooms, arguing as they went. They always argued with each other. Sucks to be the middle and youngest child I guess.

"Ah Briana, I can't believe we're back home" My dad placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Me too, I'm glad you guys came back, I missed you all" I stood up and hugged him, happy to see him.

"You and I need to do something together, bring back dad-eldest daughter day" He smiled at me. "I also need to talk to you about Grandma, away from the other two. It was your mom's decision to tell you alone" Dad's face turned incredibly sympathetic, the fear inside me growing.

"What is it?" I gulped, ready to hear what he had to say.

"Grandma isn't doing so good. She's getting more and more sick. We want to keep an eye on her in case-" He stopped in his tracks, not wanting to think the inevitable. Of course we didn't want to think about the inevitable. In this case we had to try and keep everything normal. Act like everything was okay.

"I know dad, it'll be okay" I tried to reassure him, even though I couldn't reassure myself.

"It's getting late, maybe you should go home and sleep" he smiled, messing up my hair just like he used to when I was younger.

"Yeah I need to get going. I have to go to Target and stuff so I'll see you later. Tell mom and Calum and Mollie I said bye" I smiled before getting up and heading to the door. He headed to the door with me and waved me bye at the door. As I walked to my car and heard the front door close, my stomach turned into a knot. As I started to drive, tears in my eyes began to fall and splat on my lap as the realisation of my Grandma's state and the recent events with Colby hit me like a ton of bricks. I tried not to think about Colby and I but since I heard about Grandma, all I wanted to do was hug Colby and hear him say that everything was okay. The reality of it all is that he's gone and won't talk to me. I just had to move on with my life and get over the fact that not everything goes my way. It's life. And life as we know it.

As I headed inside of Target, I wiped away some tears and tried to cover up my dripping mascara. I had cried the whole journey to Target and didn't wanna look like a total mess.

"Hey are you okay?" A guy clerk came over to me, concerned for me and my state.

"Yeah I'm fine" I weakly smiled, watching as he grabbed a tissue for me.

"I hope your day gets better" he smiled and I nodded, walking off to collect my things and go. It was good to know that some people gave a shit.

A/N

Since this story is progressing more I'm considering making it 65 to 70 chapters long. I have more ideas it's just a matter of me figuring out where it ends lol. Have a good day/night!