Husband

KABLANG!

1 month later

"Erin, you have to stop visiting him," Mike argued.

Erin hadn't yet broken up with Mike and she was afraid to, too.

"I was with him when it happened, he was protecting me, I have to be there to thank him when he wakes up. He has to know he did it for a reason," Erin sank into the couch and pulled her legs up to her body.

She heard a cry from the room in the back. "I'll get it," Erin sat up.

"No, let me," Mike stormed off.

"Mike, we aren't done here," Erin stood up and followed.

"I am, just go, please. I've got this."

"Fine. I'm going out for a little bit," Erin scolded.

"Are you going to see him?"

"Maybe."

"Whatever," Mike turned away.

Erin walked into the hospital room slowly and quietly.

"Jay?" Erin grabbed his hand, "I miss you. I've been here every day, please, come back to me. Dammit, Jay, I'm angry with yo. we were running and you shouldn't have hovered over me when I fell. You shouldn't have shielded me. I may deserve to die, but lord, you don't. You deserve the best things in life. You deserve to see you son and daughter graduate high school, to see them get married, to see their children. I deserve none of that. I don't even deserve you, Jay. So, just please, come back for them. They need their father."

Erin released his hand and walked over to the wall, collapsing to the floor, engulfed in tears. She put her head on her knees and sobbed. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the ring. Sliding it onto her finger, she cried even harder.

"Why did you have to go and leave me, Jay?" Erin asked.

Only a few seconds later, a swarm of doctors and nurses entered the room and tried to revive him. He was flatlining.

They had to force her out of the room, but she had lost all hope that he was coming back.

Minutes later, Will walked up to her and pulled her into a hug. She couldn't hear the words coming out of his mouth, but she knew what he was saying.

Will's brother had died. Erin's husband had died. Kota and Lyn's father had died. Chicago PD's detective had died. Their best friend had died.

"Will, I have to tell you something," Erin started saying between all the tears and sobs. "Jay and I, we...., we uh..., before this all happened, we eloped. We got married. Then we got kidnapped. But we eloped."

"You...?" Will questioned, confused.

"I have to go," Erin stated, trying to get away.

"Erin, slow down, stay, your husband just died," Will ordered.

That was the first time she heard it out loud. When he first said it, she couldn't accept it, let alone hear it, but it finally hit her. Husband. Dead.

"Husband?" Mike asked.