Heartbeat

Erin sat on a bench waiting for Jay to arrive at the airport. He'd have 2 days to spend with Erin but then in 2 months, he'd be back for good.

Erin couldn't wait, she was so excited. She watched the place where he would walk through and waited.

Jay came walking out and looked around, searching for Erin.

"Jay?" Erin stood and walked over to him.

"Erin," he hugged her, "I've missed you so so much." They kissed, got their gatherings and headed home.

"Ooh," Erin groaned.

"Is everything alright?" Jay asked.

"Yeah, but you're daughter has got some powerful legs." Erin laughed.

"She's gonna be kicking down doors, just like us." Jay smiled.

"Do you want to feel?" Erin asked.

"Yeah, sure," he agreed. Erin moved his hand onto her stomach.

"That's so weird but it's so cool." Jay stated.

"I know, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow," Erin said.

"No, you don't. We do." Jay corrected.

"I love you, Jay."

The next day, they headed to the hospital. As they walked into the building and up a flight of stairs, they saw Dr. Lin. They got to a room quickly because the hospital was not that busy.

"So, Erin, Jay, are you guys excited about your daughter?" Dr. Lin asked.

"Yes, of course, we are. I'm just sad I'm able to help my wife through this pregnancy for today and around the month she's due." Jay stated.

"At least you'll be here for the day that really matters." Erin said.

"It doesn't make up for the rest, though." Jay frowned.

"Look at us. We've fought, broken up, gotten back together, fought more, and here we are. It doesn't necessarily matter about the journey but if you're there in the end." Erin metaphorically spoke.

"I guess," Jay said, kissing Erin.

"So everything looks well, guys. You shouldn't have to worry about a thing, as of now. If at anytime you feel something is wrong, don't bother to call me on my business or personal cell phone." Dr. Lin stated before leaving the room.

"Let's get out of here." Jay suggested, holding his hands out for Erin.

"Let's." Erin agreed, taking his hands. They walked through the hall until they got to the flight of stairs that they entered from.

"Oh, I forgot my jacket, I'll be back." Jay stated. Erin started down the steps but a couple of young kids came running and bumped into Erin. She stumbled and fell down the rest of the stairs.

The kids seen what they done and ran away frightened of the suffering they might've caused.

"Can we get some help!?" Someone called.

Jay came walking around the corner and saw Erin laying on the ground at the bottom of the steps.

"Are you okay?" Jay ran down the steps, helping Erin stand.

"I'm fine, it's the baby I'm worried about." Erin stated.

"Let's go see if we can get Dr. Lin to do another check-up." Jay stated, he led her to a chair and forced her to sit. "I'm gonna go find her, you stay here. Don't go anywhere." Jay ordered.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, boss." She teased.

"I'll be back."

Finally, he found Dr Lin and she agreed to do another one, considering the circumstances.

"Okay, so first we're gonna look for a heartbeat. If there is no heartbeat, I'm afraid, you know what that means." Dr Lin stated.

"We understand." Jay answered.

They waited to hear a heartbeat. Dr. Lin kept searching, they kept waiting. A minute went by and no heartbeat could be found.

"This is what I feared." Dr. Lin murmured.

"What? What did you fear?" Jay asked, frantically.

"I can't find a heartbeat. You're baby....she's dead." Dr. Lin frowned.

Erin froze. No tears fell from her eyes nor did she blink. She was in shock. Jay fell to his knees.