The DNR List

Jay went back into the waiting room. He couldn't watch his wife die.

"Jay, the doctors, they wanted to talk to you about putting Erin on the DNR list. I think it's best you do. She wouldn't want live like this. It's completely up to you, but think about it." Antonio advised.

"Just stop, stop telling me it stops hurting. It will never stop. You don't know her like I do. You don't know what we've been through. Erin's by best friend and there's no way you're gonna help me, she's the only one who can. I won't forget her, I'm drowning in our memories. You don't know what she would've wanted because you just don't know her like I do." Jay argued.

"I may not, but if it were up to Erin, she wouldn't want to be living off a machine. She wouldn't want to be hurting your feeling every single time you watch her code. She wouldn't want that for you. She would want you to be happy."

"If she dies, I'll never be happy again. She's what makes me happy." Jay replied, standing up and walking away. He found a quiet place, the closet. He turned on the light and sat on a bucket that he'd turned upside down.

"God, please, don't take her away from me. Please. I'll do anything. I'll quit my job, I'll go to church, I'll be the best man I can, just please, don't take her. I need her. You can have me, you can kill me, just let her wake up. Please," Jay sobbed.

Jay finally stopped crying and left the closet. He went back to the waiting room, no one was there. 

"Will? Where is everyone?" Jay stops his brother and asks him.

"Did you forget? Today's the trial. For the guy that shot her. Weren't you supposed to go?" He asks Jay.

"No, I wasn't gonna go, but I guess I forgot. Can I see her?" Jay asks, like he needs permission to see his wife.

"Of course. Look, I gotta get going, have a nurse page me if you need anything."

"Will do, Will." He smiles and hugs Will. "Thanks."

Jay walks down the hall looking for Erin's room. At last, he finds it, walking in. The room felt so unfamiliar, but this is where she's been for the past couple weeks, and everyday Jay visits her.

He sits down on the chair next to her bed.

"Erin," Jay grabs her hand. "I don't pray often, but I prayed for you. I prayed for you, please, you have to come back to me. They wanted me to put you on the DNR list, I can't. I don't wanna lose you. Please, just do anything, baby, I love you." Jay kisses her forehead.

"Don't cry." Erin breathed out. "And sure as hell don't put me on the DNR list."

"Erin?" Jay stood, "you're awake."

"I know." Erin smiled.

"Let me go get my brother. I'll be right back." Jay cheered. He kissed her and ran out the door. "Will! She's awake! Will!" 

"Erin's awake?" Natalie asked. "Let me page your brother."

"Thanks, Nat. She's awake." Jay stated once again. They all rushed into her room. 

"Wow, an audience... just for me?" Erin laughs.

"You deserve one." Jay smiles.

"Welcome back, Erin." Will hugs her.

"Thanks, brother-in-law." She smiles. "Where's my ring?" 

Jay looked at Natalie and Will with a weird look. Natalie and Will took that as their cue to leave.

"Oh, it's in my pocket." Jay reaches into his pocket and slides the ring onto Erin's finger.

"How long's it been?" Erin asks.

"Almost 3 weeks." Jay states. He frowns but then perks up when he remembers something from earlier that day. "I have news though. I found this baby, on the porch of a house. I wanna adopt her."

"Adopt her?" Erin looked at him funny.

"Yeah, she's a real darling. I'll have to bring her to you, she's in the nursery." Jay states with a smile on his face.

"I wanna adopt her too, then." Erin smiles back at him. 

They kissed until they were interrupted by the whole intelligence unit plus some.