Obstacles

"Will, you have to help him. You have to. He's your brother, please. You've gotta save him." Erin ordered.

"I can't, Erin. I would, I'd go and help him right now if I got what I wanted, but I can't. He's family, so he can't be a patients of mine. I'm sorry, but I can't help him. All we can do is wait." Will stated, pulling Erin into a hug.

"It's just, he was gone for our first pregnancy, which we lost, and now he might be gone for our second. What if we lose this baby and he's dead, we won't ever have a family then, Jay and I." Erin pulled away from the hug.

"He's not gonna die, I can assure you that." Will promised.

"I have to go, call me if anything changes." Erin stated, headed toward the nearest exit.

"Erin, wait! Where are you going?" Will stopped her.

"Anywhere but here," she replied, turning her back to him. 

She walked to the house and went inside. She took a look around and then gathered up all the photos she could find around the house. As she carefully examined each one, recalling each memory, she teared up just a little bit more. "Damn it! Jay, why do you do this to me?" She sniffled. She flipped through the photos and found one from their original wedding. It was maybe 2 minutes before she'd got shot, they were looking at each other, so much in love. 

To Erin, it felt like it was years ago, so much had happened since that very moment. She flipped to the next one, it was the first picture they ever took together as a couple. He was kissing her cheek as she looked at the camera.

"Erin? Hey, Will called me, open up! You have to be there for him! Let me in, I want to help! Please," Burgess knocked on the door.

"It's always open," Erin said quietly, like she'd given up.

Burgess walked in, "Erin, you have to go be by his side. Once he's out of surgery, he could wake at any moment. I'm pretty sure if I were him, the first face I'd want to see is you. I'll take you, come on, please, let me help you."

"I don't need your help," Erin scolded.

"Maybe you don't, but I need to give it to you, so please, if you won't do it for me, do it for Jay. Do it for your unborn baby. Do it for someone, anyone, please, just let me take you to the hospital. While you wait for Jay to get out of surgery, you could get checked out, make sure you're baby is okay. Do that?" Burgess planned.

"Yeah," Erin nodded. She grabbed her jacket and followed Burgess out.

When they arrived at the hospital, everyone else was there, the Intelligence unit, some of 51, and of course all of Med. As she sat down next to Voight, a doctor came out with Will. 

"I'm guessing you all are with Jay." Dr. Rhodes started, "We took him into surgery because we saw signs of internal bleeding. Not only was he bleeding internally, but as we were patching him up, we noticed something. We're taking him to X-rays, but we're thinking it's a spinal injury. We don't know if has something to do directly with the spinal cord or just his nervous system all together." 

"Wait, what?" Ruzek questioned.

"Dr. Rhodes is saying that he will make a good recovery, but he may not be able to walk, or possibly move when he wakes." Will cleared up.

Erin stood up and rushed to a bathroom. She grabbed onto the counter and looked at herself in the mirror. Burgess followed her in. "It's gonna be okay."

"No, it won't be! They're saying he won't be able to walk! Nothing will ever be the same! This is going to ruin us, it's going to ruin him..." Erin started. "We barely made it through our first couple obstacles, this one is like that last one that determines your fate, and ours is downhill. That's...tha---," Erin gripped onto the counter tighter. 

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm... fi...fine, it's all okay." Erin breathed out.

"Let's take a seat. Come on, down to the floor." Burgess helped her. "I'll be right back, I'm going to go get a doctor, stay here."

When Burgess came back, Erin was gone, nowhere to be found.