This is how I feel

After a few weeks, Erin was released back to work. She sat in her desk and didn't worry about the file on her desk because she knew they'd be going over it in just a few minutes. When she glanced over at Jay, she saw that he was looking at her, too. But it wasn't the regular look, it wasn't the 'you're my partner' and 'this time I drive' look. It was the 'I love you but I can't say so' look. She smiled, turned but could't resist looking back at him.

Jay threw his head back in a laugh. He nodded towards the break room. Simultaneously, they got up and walked to the break room. "A few weeks from now, we are going to be sitting on a couch watching a chick-flick, which you convinced me to watch, and I am going to love it. Not the chick-flick, but being with you. I like you, but I love the growing affection we have. I like the 'not knowing what you're thinking but that it's about me' feeling. I like that. I like you. Maybe not as much as this coffee," he let out a little laugh, "but we've got all the time in the world, and I'm gonna spend as much of it, as I can, with you."

Erin smiled, "I like you, too... but what was that about?"

"I felt like it had to be said. I felt like you needed a smile and I knew I could give you one. I know you already had a smile when we came in here, but that was just because, I felt like I had to give you one." Jay admitted.

"Well, you succeeded. I'm smiling." Erin stated. She almost kissed him but realized they were at the district so they weren't able to, or else their secret would be out. 

"We'd better get back out there." Jay giggled.

"Yeah, we better."

++++

It was around 10:00 pm when Jay heard a knock at his door.He opened it, to see it was Erin.

"So, earlier you told me how you felt, I feel like I need to tell you how I feel." Erin exclaimed. She walked in and sat down.

"Okay, go ahead."

"When I was younger, I didn't live the best life. I never knew of a mother's love, I never knew any love until Hank took me in. But as a kid, I didn't want the prince charming to come riding into my life and save me, unlike most people, I didn't want the love at first sight bullsh--. I didn't want it because maybe I was afraid of it, I don't know, but I guess I had never seen myself getting married, becoming a wife, a mother, a grandmother. I never saw that for myself. I don't know why, but it just was never in my train of thought. But then one day, I got a job and I met this guy. And now I do see that for myself. I do see me as a wife, a mother, and eventually a grandmother. I see that with you. I don't want to freak you out, I don't wanna say let's get married and have kids right now, but eventually, down the road, I hope that's where this is. I hope you are the guy I say 'I do' to. I hope you are the father of my child or children if that's what we decide, but remember, no matter how old we get, no matter how far apart we drift, no matter what we feel in 10 years, 20, possibly 30, you are the guy that changed everything for me. You are the guy that made me want to be the prince's princess." Erin hugged him. But his response made her jump out of his arms and out the door.

"Marry me?" He said.