Don't Ever Be Sorry

"You know legally, we can't adopt her unless her father signs off or they are able to find the mother." Erin stated.

"True, but it'd be nice to have someone that we both have to love and care for equally and be able to call ours." Jay leaned in closer, about to kiss her.

"I know. I wish that I hadn't got shot." Erin frowned.

"I wish it was me, believe me," Jay nodded as he said the words, "I love you and I hated seeing you that way."

"Things happen, you can't change anything," Erin kissed him, "just please, stay with me, lay in bed with me and talk to me. I get so bored at home doing nothing, while you're out there fighting crime. I want you here."

"I want to be here, too. But I can't. I've got to be there. Even after insurance, we still have a lot in medical bills to pay. We need the money. We need all the overtime and regular hours we can get! I'm trying to help us here, and I'm sorry it wasn't different, but this is how it is." Jay stated rudely. "Sorry."

"No, you're right. I'm just gonna rest. You can head to work now, if you want." Erin said, rolling onto her good arm.

"Okay, I'll call and check in on you." He kissed her on her temple and shut the door to the room as he left.

A little bit after, a tear pushed through Erin's eyelids and burst as it hit the bed. More kept falling off her cheeks, only more to come, twice as fast. She cried herself to sleep, but woke up to the noise of ringing. It was Jay. She clicked decline because she didn't feel up to talking at that moment.

Jay leaned back in his chair at CPD and called her again. Once again declined, he called one last time before having everyone else call. No answer. Jay started to worry, along with everyone else, but he was the only one worried enough to actually check up on her.

"Erin, are you okay?" He walked into their apartment. "Erin?" He called out.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She mumbled.

"Why weren't you answering?" Jay sat down on his side of the bed, her back facing him.

"I didn't, and still don't want to talk to you, right now. I can't." She pulled the blanket up to her neck.

"If that's what you want...just at least answer someone else's calls. We were all worried. I was worried." Jay stated.

"You should be," Erin bit her lip.

"Erin, what's wrong?" Jay put his hand on her shoulder.

"I just don't know anymore. Jay, you really pissed me off this morning." Erin rolled over to face him.

"I know, and I'm sorry, but," Jay helped her sit up.

"But we need the money. I understand." Erin leaned into him, "you better get back to work. I love you. I'm sorry." 

"Don't ever tell me you're sorry. You have no reason to be sorry. I love you, too." They kissed and he left.

As soon as he left, she picked up her phone, "Hey, can you come pick me up? I need to do something." After getting the reply of yes, she hung up the phone and started getting dressed. In some pain, she managed to get her clothes on and waited by the door for her ride.