Today Matters

I just wanted to thank Kendallrenee101 for always leaving me feedback in the comment section. If you haven't already, go follow her! Thanks for being awesome!

"Jay, you're back!" Burgess stated, surprised.

"Well, I am," Jay replied, his arm wrapped around Erin.

"Where the hell were you? You know how much..." She stopped mid-sentence, looking at Erin. She shook her head.

"How much... What? Tell me!" Jay orders.

"How much Erin cried because, after each day or week that went by, she thought you weren't coming back? You don't know how much, and you never will, you hurt her so much!" She paused, looked down, "I'm sorry. This is none of my business."

"No, Burgess, you're completely right. I shouldn't have left, Erin, Kota, my life. I had no right, but I did anyways, and for that, I'll always be sorry, but I was hoping that the only thing that should matter now is that I came back and I'm here now." He states, turning toward Erin and looking back and forth from Burgess and his wife.

"Jay, I'm sorry. You know I didn't mean any of that. I'm sorry, I just came over to check on Erin, like I do every day. But I guess I don't have to do that now. I should get going," Burgess states, hugging Erin and leaving.

"You cried everyday cause you thought I wasn't coming back?" He turned to her, putting his hands on her hips.

"Not every day, but a good majority. I just felt upset, that's all. I guess, deep down, I knew you were gonna come back, but my brain just thought you weren't." Erin admitted. 

"I wish you would've told me. I'm so sorry I put you through that, I wish there was a way I could make it up to you." Jay sank.

"There is," Erin smiled, "promise me something."

"Anything." Jay agreed.

"If you ever decide to leave me, don't leave Kota. A son can't grow up without a father. If you ever leave me, or we have a falling out, stay for Kota, keep Kota in your life, because he needs you. More than you'll ever know."

"Erin, you know I couldn't leave you. But I promise."

"Maybe not now, Jay, but you never know. One day, something could change, you never know. Just promise me."

"Don't worry about the past or the future, all that matters is today and what you do with it. But if you really want me to promise, I promise." Jay explained.

He pulled her into a kiss, and afterward, they stood there, swaying, Erin's head dug into Jay's shoulder.

A cry from the back room split them up.

"I'll be back," Erin stated.

"No, let me." Jay stopped her, heading back to the room.

Within seconds, the crying stopped and Erin stood in the living room, smiling.

"We're finally a family again," she whispered to herself.