A Fraction

I was really thinking about where I want to take this story now, and where I am in it. I realized that, if this is halfway or even 3/4 of the way through, I've got a long way to go to do this story justice, and I'm hoping to do it.

Erin put her shoes on while Jay ran around trying to help gather everything.

"Jay, stop. It doesn't have to be done within the minute. You can take your time," Erin stated, annoyed.

"You're finally getting out of the hospital after a few weeks of being in here! I just wanna go. I wanna swoop you into my arms and run away. That would be...," Jay sat next to her on the bed, "amazing." He gave her a light kiss and they sat there, making out.

A nurse came in and cleared her throat. The two broke apart and start apologizing.

"I just have your discharge papers, you sign them, then you're all good to go." She explained.

Erin read them, signed them, then grabbed all her stuff but was forced to be taken out in a wheelchair. Hospital policy. The second they got outside, she stood up and got in the car.

"I hate damn wheelchairs. Ever since..." Erin paused.

"I know. Me too," Jay stated.

When they arrived at their apartment, Erin led them in. He made sure to pretend like it was gonna be a slow, boring day, but when they walked in, a whole crowd yelled, "SURPRISE!!!"

"What is...?" Erin looked around and Jay smiled. She hugged him tightly.

"I told you, you have so many people on your side, and this is just a fraction of them," he whispered in her ear.

"Thank you," she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

She thanked everyone personally later into the party and after a good 30 minutes of talking to people. She sat down next to the person watching Kota, and played with him for a while.

At one point, he even did something super funny, of which Jay didn't see, but it had a whole crowd of people laughing.

When Jay heard the laughter though, he looked over and saw her truly happy. She hadn't looked that way in a long time...

"She's really happy, Jay." Voight slapped him on the back.

"Let's just hope it stays this way."

"It will. Jay, I've never seen her happier than when she's with you and Kota. Her smile his brighter, her eyes are lighter, her expressions are softer."

"Every time I look at her, it's hard to imagine what's going on in the inside because of what's happening on the outside. I'm afraid that one day it'll be too much, and instead of a car wreck landing her in the hospital...," Jay started.

"We won't let it get that bad," Voight explained. "We're her family, and we'll always be here. She'll come to us when she's feeling bad, I promise. Now that she knows what's at stake, she can't bear to lose it. No one can."

"Yeah, I guess. Anyway, thanks for coming Sarge," Jay stated, walking over to sit next to his beautiful wife.