You're Not Alone

Jay busts down the door, "what's going on?"

He enters to see the babysitter picking up clothes and putting them into a basket.

"Sorry, I was startled and dropped the basket. Everything is okay, Kota has been an angel." She explained.

"Oh, so he's okay. Good, I just, my first instinct was that something was wrong. Sorry that we barged in." Erin apologized.

"No, I completely understand. Don't worry 'bout it." She stated.

"Here let me help," Jay started helping.

"Kota is in the back room, he's sleeping right now. Do you guys want anything to drink?" The babysitter asked.

"No, we actually have to get going." Erin said, "Thanks for the offer though."

"Oh, okay. Well, have a good day," she said as she shut the door behind Jay, who was carrying Kota.

As they got in the car, Erin let out a sigh.

"I thought something happened to him. I was so scared," Jay stated.

"You? I was scared, too," Erin agreed.

"At least he's okay. Now I say we go home, order some pizza, and then go to bed. I'm t-i-r-e-d," Jay suggests.

"I think that that sounds like a great idea! I could do some stuffed-crust pizza. How about you?"

"Of course! Let's do it!" Jay looked at Kota sleeping in the back and made sure he was okay. "How did I get so lucky?" he murmured under his breath.

"What?" Erin asked, looking for clarity.

"How did I get so lucky?" He repeated. "How did I go from being a self-absorbed jerk, who only thought about me, to meeting you, being friends with you as long as I was, and then getting to marry you. How did that happen? It's clear you're way out of my league, and I'm just happy you haven't figured that out yet." He let out a light chuckle.

"I would hardly call you a self-absorbed jerk. Hell, you're a detective for Pete's sake. That has to count for something. I do know I'm way out of your league... Well, should I say under? You're too good for me. You're a helluva good father, and yes, there that has had its ups and downs, but you stuck with me, and if anyone is lucky here, it's me." Erin turned away, she wiped away a tear that fell onto her cheek.

Jay saw it but didn't say a word, not wanting to upset her. He started the engine and drove down the road before pulling over again.

"What are we stopping for?" Erin asked.

Not saying a word, Jay sat there, thinking. He looked at her, at every curl in her hair, at every line on her forehead, at every eyelash. He leaned in close and pulled her into a kiss.

Erin pulled away and looked out at the road. She started bawling.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"I just... I feel so alone. I know you're here with me, and I know I love you, and I know I've got you, Kota, and all of these other great people, but it feels like, being surrounded by all these people, that I'm more alone than ever." Erin wiped away a few tears before more started falling.

"You're not alone. We're all here for you, and whenever you're ready to talk, I'm ready to listen. For better or for worse, right?"

"For better or for worse." Erin shut her eyes, letting the last few tears fall. 

Jay grabbed her hand and kissed it, "I'm always here for you, know that. I'm right here and I'll love you no matter what."

"I know," Erin sat back in her seat,"I know."