My...Stepbrother? {30}

Start from the beginning

                I pouted as I sat back down. “I told you not to call me Kory Monkey! Sorry I thought it was normal to strip and eat a banana upside down! I was a little kid! I didn’t know any better,” I whined.

                “Kory, you would still do that today and you know it,” she said, rolling her eyes. I grinned and shrugged innocently. Hey, why not? Bananas tasted best when you ate them upside down in your birthday suit.

                The front door opened and I started jumping up and down in excitement. Trace and Brandon appeared a moment later. Trace glanced at me and nodded, holding his hand out.

                “Come on you idiot,” he said in annoyance.

                “Bye mom! Bye Brandon!” I cried and ran to Trace. He sighed as he realized I wasn’t going to simply take his hand and walk out like a normal person.

                I launched into his arms and he caught and kissed me. “You have legs, you know,” he said, rolling his eyes.

                “That’s exactly what I tried to tell him,” mom said with a sigh of her own.

                “Psh! Haters!” I cried as Trace carried me out of the room. He grabbed my shoes and brought me out to the car, dumping me in and setting my shoes on my lap.

                He got in next to me and turned on music. I began to tie my shoes as Trace pulled out of the driveway and sped on down the road to wherever this surprise was.

                “Trace, can I at least have a little hint?” I asked with puppy dog eyes.

                Trace shook his head, remaining quiet. I watched him curiously as he looked out the opposite window to check for cars before he turned. I frowned deeply to myself.

                Trace had a nervous look. Almost scared. He was chewing on his lip, something he did when he was really nervous about something. But what did he have to be nervous about? What was this surprise?

                I stayed quiet, not wanting to make Trace even more nervous. Sadly, that only had Trace biting his lip twice as hard.

                “Kory, why are you so quiet? You’re never quiet!” he exploded at last. His tone was an almost desperate one, but he was trying to make it with irritation. Just like he always did.

                “Oh…uh…sorry?” I said in confusion. “I thought you would get annoyed with me.”

                “No! You’re never quiet!” he snapped. He pressed his lips together in a thin, tight line and glared out the front of the car, suddenly focused on his driving. I mentally sighed. What was I supposed to say without him yelling at me?! I did not like to be yelled at. It made me not so happy.

                “So, I saw a snail today. I picked it up. It was gross so I screamed and dropped it. Then I felt bad. But I didn’t pick it up again because it was gross. Then I ate a peanut butter sandwich. Oh! I never actually finished it. Hm…now I’m in the car with you. Well, that was my day. A snail butter sandwich and driving with my boyfr- I said snail butter didn’t I? Dammit.” I face palmed myself and groaned.

                Trace’s lips twitched and he seemed to relax a little despite the fact that the smile didn’t make it to his face. He reached over and took my hand in his, squeezing it.