Derek: Say You Won't Let Go

****

I recommend for you to listen to Say You Won't Let Go by James Authur. It should be in the media little guy.

***

I met you in the dark
You lit me up
You made me feel as though
I was enough  

We drank too much

I held your hair back when
You were throwing up
Then you smiled over your shoulder
For a minute I was stone cold sober
I pulled you closer to my chest
And you asked me to stay over
I said, I already told you
I think that you should get some rest  

You danced with your friends, drinks in your hands and skirts riding up your legs. Laughing and giggling you realized you were out of alcohol. You dismissed yourself from the group and went to the table that had a few too many bottles of alcohol on it. You approached a man who was wearing a black t-shirt and dark jeans. He was pouring himself a drink, looking down the entire time, not looking up to you when you stood beside him.

"You look like you don't want to be here." You said to him. He chuckled and looked down to you.

"You look like you belong here?" He asked as he poured your drink.

"Friends house party. You look like the type of person who's all brooding and mysterious." You joked.

"No, not mysterious, just brooding." He joked, throwing the rest of his drink into his mouth, swallowing it quickly.

"Come on, let's go somewhere where we can sit, my feet don't like heels." You said laughing, grabbing a bottle of vodka and tequila. You headed towards the stairs, sitting at the top, overlooking the whole party. No one was allowing upstairs so everyone was downstairs.

"Aren't your friends going to worry about where you are?" He asked as you took a chug from the vodka.

"Yeah, but I don't care. I'd rather talk to brooding over here." You said as you took another big sip of vodka.

He looked at you and smiled. He was in a dark place. He recently lost everyone he's ever loved and cared for. 

I knew I loved you then
But you'd never know
'Cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go
I knew I needed you
But I never showed
But I wanna stay with you
Until we're grey and old  

As the months go by you and Derek met up and hung out. You started blowing off your friends to be with Derek. Your friendship grew the night you met, you were both pretty wasted and lord knows what happened. Derek took care of you that night the nights following. You fell in love with him and him with you. You just never said it. Both of you terrified of what would happen. 

Eventually, it happened. One drunken night where he spent the night, you asked him to stay, that's when you made love. The best night of both of your lives. Weeks go by when you were informed you were pregnant with Derek's child. You were over the moon when you found out. You were so in love with him and he didn't know because you both were scared but having his unborn child made you less scared because he professed his love for you by proposing. He got down on one knee and kindly asked you with tears falling down his cheeks to marry him. You gladly said yes. Kissing and hugging him while looking down at your stomach knowing something you love something that isn't even born yet.

I wake you up with some breakfast in bed
I'll bring you coffee

With a kiss on your head
And I'll take the kids to school
Wave them goodbye
And I'll thank my lucky stars for that night  

Years go by when you are at peace and complete. You have a beautiful son and a wonderful husband with twins on the way. You have never been so in love with life ever. Derek had never felt more loved by anyone in his entire life until that night at your friend's party where you both got drunk and a relationship began. H loved you more than anything. He would do anything to keep you smiling and happy. Nothing could bring him down with his high on love and life. He would go through hell and back to keep you happy and breathing.

You were both so madly in love with each other, it was made to be.

When you looked over your shoulder
For a minute, I forget that I'm older
I wanna dance with you right now, oh
And you look as beautiful as ever
And I swear that every day you'll get better
You make me feel this way somehow
I'm so in love with you
And I hope you know  

Many years later, You stood watching your families play together at a family reunion. Your children with their own husband's and wives. Your grandchildren playing with their cousins and friends. 

You stood at the porch peacefully watching, drinking your tea when you turn around to see you loving husband, Derek, looking at you in awe. 

"Darling, your love is more than worth its weight in gold. We've come so far, my dear. Look how we've grown. And I wanna stay with you until we're grey and old" He said reaching to grab your hands. You nod your head at the love of your life. 

"Just say you won't let go" You completed setting down your cup and pulling Derek into a hug. all your worries and problems always diminished when he would hug you, kiss you, hold your hand even look at you. He was your world, and you were his.

 I'm gonna love you 'til
My lungs give out
I promise till death we part
Like in our vows  

 55 years of knowing each other, 53 years of being together, and 50 years of marriage and yet you feel like your 25 again at that party with the skin tight skirt and long hair sticking to the back of your neck when you met him at the table of drinks. He was so alone and dark. Then he met his everything. And he was never dark and alone again.

Even in his final moments, he was never alone. He was 80 years old and had liver cancer. He only had months to live when you found out. But months were cut short when his cancer grew aggressively. You sat at his bedside holding his hand. His children and grandchildren in the room.

"I promised you, you were never going to be alone ever again. And look who's leaving who." You said as tears fell down onto the bed.

"Can you give us a few moments alone?" You asked your family. You needed to be alone with the love of your life in his last moments.

"It's just you and me now." You whispered. "You can go now. I know you are holding out for our family. But honey, you need to go. You are not alone." 

By now your were sobbing. You were falling apart at the bedside of your other half dying.

"Say you won't let go." He whispered taking his last breaths.

"I won't let go." You sobbed. He breathed his last breath and the monitor signified he was gone. His hand went limp, his eyes went dark and his chest fell. As your children come rushing in, everything went black, you fell moments after his death.

Suddenly you were 25 again, in an all white room with Derek waiting for you ahead by a door. You ran to him and hugged him. 

"You let go." He said sadly.

"To be with you again." You said quietly.

*****

This one is weird I know but it is a love story that was based on the song above. I cried writing this. It's good. I've been holding so much inside that, writing was something to release me again. I just lost my way.

Thanks for reading!

-Queen_Karen_