A Storyteller's Power

A/N: big thanks to salmonandsoup on Twitter for being my beta reade/editor and allowing me to use one of her AU characters as the hero of this tale.

As Chris sat there, his eyes flicking from one player to the next sat around the table onstage, he let a cruel smirk spread across his lips. The pieces were all in place; Diath, Evelyn and Strix had escaped the Amber Temple and had arrived at Strahd's throne room. The previous week, he'd left them just as the doors were thrown open by the Paladin. After giving a recap of the prior week's episode, he finally began the description he'd been longing to read since the campaign had begun.

"As the doors swing open, you are met with the majestic sight of Strahd's throne room; The stone walls, rising about forty feet to the vaulted ceiling, are made of black stone and are adorned with hanging banners in a deep, blood red. Stretching across the floor to the rosewood throne with crimson cushions is a long red carpet with golden trim. And across the room from you, sitting in the throne about fifty feet away is Strahd, but he's not alone. Standing obediently by his right side is Paultin."

Everyone gasped, looking positively betrayed .

Anna was the first to speak up, "Paultin! You're alive! But... what're you doin' with Strahd?"

Chris spoke, giving voice to the vampire lord. "He will not answer you without his master's permission, Paladin. So don't waste your breath."

"You aren't his master, Strahd. I know Paultin Seppa and I know for a fact that he'd never obey you." Jared shot back, his voice harsh and hostile.

Chris laughed Strahd's sinister laugh, sending a shiver through character and player alike. "You doubt me? Very well." As himself, Chris described the next events with a chillingly low voice and that smirk that everyone knew meant bad news. "Strahd glances at Paultin, his lips twisted in a cruel and cunning smile. And I'd like you to make a wisdom saving throw Paultin."

Nate grimaced and rolled his dice... And promptly cursed under his breath."Uh-- 9?"

Chris chuckled. "With that roll, you fall victim to Strahd's charm, feeling your own will melt away and be replaced with the overwhelming desire to follow Strahd's instruction as though you trust him. Now, the rest of you see Paultin's expression shift from mildly afraid to vacant. Then Strahd says, to Paultin, "tell your old friends what you think of me."

Nate didn't want to say this, he really didn't. But he felt something switch in his mind, a feeling like the one Chris had described. "You... I would trust you with my life, my Lord Strahd. "

"NO!" Holly burst out. "PAULTIN SNAP OUT OF IT YOU IDIOT, STRAHD VON ASSHAT IS NOT ONE TO TRUST!"

Nate glared at Holly, actual malevolence in his dark eyes. "I glare at Strix for her comment and cast vicious mockery on her and say "Filthy Tiefling, you dare slander Lord Strahd?"

"Okay Strix, you need to make a wisdom saving throw."

Holly winced as Nate's words cut through her, ringing in her skull painfully. She rolled and gave a disappointed sigh at what came up. "10."

"Paultin, what's your save DC?"

"14." Nate's gaze didn't leave Holly when he answered, and it didn't become any less hostile.

"Okay Paultin, roll damage."

His eyes still fixed on Holly, Nate rolled his d4. "Max damage."

Multifandom Oneshot BookOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara