Scene - The God of All Things

Everything was dying.

His friends were gravely injured and dying.

Pike and Kashaw were doing all they could to help the rest of Vox Machina and the refugees from Emon but Vax could only stand there.

He had no healing magic remaining, no potions, nothing. But he did have one thing he could do.

Leaving Castle Whitestone, Vax made his way to the temple of Pealor, kneeling before the alter and clasping his holy symbol of the Raven Queen.

Liam looked up at Matt, his expression stern and slightly desperate; "I want to summon a celestial, a god."

Matt gave him a strange look, "do you have that spell?"

"Yes."

A tilt of the head and a humouring smile. "Okay then, who d'you wanna call?"

Liam's expression hardened even more, "I want to call the highest god, the being whose presence I can sense all around, controlling anyone who isn't a part of Vox Machina."

Matt's face scrunched up in puzzlement, flicking through his DMG, "and who would that be?"

Liam closed his eyes, his hands folded together in prayer as he spoke as Vax. "To the one on high who watches these events. The one who orchestrates it all. To the god of gods and puppetmaster of all things. I summon Mercer; the god of storytelling, fate and the cosmos."

Matt was completely taken aback by this. He was about to object, but he figured it might be interesting to see how this played out. "Very well... I'm gonna have you roll a religion check."

Liam clenched his d20 tightly and rolled, eyes scrunched shut as he silently prayed. Suddenly he heard Laura cheer beside him and he opened one eye. And was met with a natural 20. "Nat 20 baby."

The DM gave a small chuckle. "As you finish speaking, you look up to the alter in hopes of seeing something. You don't know what this god looks like or even if he exists at all; you've just heard rumours and felt the eerie chill of being watched. However, as your soul almost cries out for an audience with this god, you feel a presence behind you and you turn. Leaning against the doorway is a tall, roughly five foot eleven, humanoid shrouded in a deep purple cloak. He's looking at you with... mild confusion, but also admiration. His arms are folded, but as he straightens up and walks towards you, you see them unfold and gracefully fall to his sides." He took a breath and gave a soft smile as he began speaking to Vax'ildan as opposed to Liam.

"Vax'ildan; cunning rogue, champion Paladin of the Raven Queen. Until today, no one has ever noticed my existence, yet you have."

Vax stayed on his knees, bowing his head in respect. "Great god Mercer, I have called upon you to beg of you a favour. You, as far as I know, are the supreme leader of the gods. You're the one who shaped this world, who controls anyone who isn't a member of my team."

Mercer thought for a moment, pale green eyes distant and pensive. "I suppose you could say that, yes. What do you wish to ask of me?"

The rogue looked up at the god, dark eyes filled with pain and remorse. "Please... this world is dying, my friends are dying. You created this world from nothingness, please... you can't just let it die."

The deity's gaze remained thoughtful, "while it is true that this world is of my making, and while it's also true that destroying it is painful, all things must one day come to an end. The lives of individual people, the lives of cities, of continents, of whole worlds. Nothing can last forever, not even gods."

"I'll pay you anything. Just... Vex'ahlia, Keyleth. At the very least spare them."

Mercer gave a small smirk and tilted his head. "You love them. But what about the Ashari? Would Keyleth really be okay with being the last of her people? And Vex'ahlia, do you think she wants to live at the cost of Percival?"

Vax fell silent; he hadn't thought of that.

"The universe is very carefully balanced, everything and everyone in my creation was made with a purpose. And every event, too, happens for a very good reason."

"But--"

"I have plans for Vox Machina yet. The road I set you on is a long and winding one, full of trouble and strife, but it is one I know you can conquer. However, I will grant you one boon." He held his hand out to Vax and a flash of violet light burst into his palm, revealing a pendant made of, what looked to be, amethyst in the shape of an icosahedron. "This pendant has the ability to raise someone from death. All you need do is place it over their heart and call for me. However, it has but a single use; once that is expended, it will turn into pure life energy and sink into the chest of the person you are trying to raise. Use it well, Vax'ildan, this was created using my own essence, it cannot be reproduced."

Vax nodded. "Thank you."

Mercer nodded back. "I must be going, simply existing in this plain causes temporal problems. Farewell."

"And with that he walks towards the doorway, stepping through it in a flash of violet arcane and celestial energy, leaving you alone in the temple of Pealor." Matt said quietly. "What would you like to do?"

Liam gave a small smile. "I'm gonna place the pendant around my neck and head back to the castle to check on my sister."