Scene - Forgiveness or Revenge - minor gore tw

"What if you could meet the being responsible for all the pain your group has ever experienced?"

The question hung in the air, Vox Machina stunned by the stark directness of the words from the cloaked figure's mouth.

The figure continued; "All the strife, every death, every loss. The Briarwoods, the Conclave, everything. I can allow you to confront him and do with him as you see fit. Forgiveness or revenge, it will be in your hands." They spread their arms, "So, what shall it be?" 

Percy's previously calm face hardened, and a familiar chill began to emanate from the human. "Bring him to us."

Vax's fists clenched as the face of his mother flashed into his mind; the sight of Bryorden burning around him and Vex as they returned there.

Grog's face flashed with rage, memories of all the pain he'd seen Pike suffer at the hands of the world. "Yeah. There's something I wanna say to him."

Keyleth remembered the ruins of Pyrah, the deaths she hadn't been allowed to avert. "I'm with Grog and Percy."

A chuckle came from under the figure's hood, "Very well, so it shall be done." They snapped their fingers and a crack of thunder sounded, blinding light filling their vision as they stood in the grounds of Whitestone Castle.

When the light cleared they saw, not a god, but a man. A scrawny man in strange clothes looking around in panic. 

Grog's grin grew wider as he drew the Blood Axe from its place on his back. "Hello sunshine, I hear you've been the one causing all our problems~"

The man froze as he heard the voice, slowly turning to the group. He tried to speak but the fear that struck him left him barely able to think. He knew these people, knew this place. But it couldn't be.... none of this was real. 

The last he remembered had been looking through the first copy of the Tal'Dorei campaign guide he'd been mailed. Then he'd lost consciousness. His heart raced in his chest; wide, jade eyes locked on the towering form of the goliath before him. 

Percy stepped forward, drawing Animus with a twisted smile crossing his face. "Yes, according to our sources, you sent the Conclave to Tal'Dorei. You were the one who orchestrated the slaughter of my family..." Dark smoke began to drift from Percy's cuffs and collar. "You burned Bryorden, you destroyed the Pyrah."

The man staggered back, incomprehensibly stammering and struggling to form coherent speech or organised thought.

Vex swiftly drew an arrow and shot it at the man's feet, snaring him as the brambles held him tight. "Are we correct? Was all of this your doing?"

The bite of steel suddenly appeared at the man's throat and a soft and menacing voice spoke in his ear. "You know, I really hope we're right. Someone who toys with fate without the graces of the Raven Queen is a dangerous person to have alive. Besides, you apparently were the true mastermind behind the destruction of a whole quarter of Kiki's people. And I really can't let that slide."

"Wait." 

A gasp and a sudden rush of hope, and the man looked up from his hunched and closed off position. 

Pike strode forwards, looking up at the terrified human. "What's your name?"

"M-matthew..." the trembling man stammered. "M-matthew Mercer... I--"

"Is any of this true Matthew? Did you orchestrate all of this?"

Matthew's already pale face only grew paler, "I-I..."