Scene - Logic's Memories - Spooptober Day 10

Logic sat at his desk in his office and took a sip of his Earl Grey tea. He was thankful, if he was to be honest, that The Librarian had provided him this space. She'd given them all their own little apartment off the main library, made them all fit their personalities, to help them feel more relaxed and at home. Looking under the desk, he smiled seeing his border collie, Pess, fast asleep. A lot had changed in the two years since he'd arrived; it hadn't even been a library at first, just a single room, not even that, it was an empty void he'd materialise in if he was called upon. Then Flamboyance had arrived, then Temper and, soon after that, Loyalty. It'd been a while after that until the next residents, in that time he and his colleuges seemed to fade, threatening to disappear entirely. But then came Bloodlust and Manipulation, followed quickly after by Dorkiness and Creative Analysis to keep them in check. After that, if he recalled correctly, came Bloody-Mindedness and Level-Headedness, followed by the elementals; Joy, Free Spirit, Prankster and Parental Nature. Followed most recently by Sass, Love for Retro Aesthetics and Fascination in Weapons.

It'd been a long road, that was for sure, and he hadn't survived this long without scars. Logic set down his teacup and reached into his jacket, pulling out a dagger. It was something he hadn't even thought about in over a year. It was truly beautiful; a shining silver blade engraved with runes of mental and spiritual fortitude and strength. A tarnished golden handle, embellished with worn yet delicate vines, flowers and leaves and a single, perfect garnet set in the pommel. He ran a slender finger over the hairline fracture that went around the handle and shuddered, he remembered first using this blade, and the memory was far from plesant.

He'd been in People Park with Wright and his son, Daniel. The Librarian had been with him for a while, as had Nick, who was to Wright what The Librarian was to him. When the two had left, they'd gotten pretzels and talked together for a while until Logic had spotted an unsettlingly familiar figure sitting on a bench a short distance away. He'd casually walked over with Pess and quickly backtracked upon his suspicions having been confirmed. 

Shelly DeKiller had approached them quickly and stealthily, coming up behind Daniel and putting a knife to the young man's throat, he said things that Logic couldn't recall now, but the blade had pressed down and drew bloof. Logic could clearly remember the fear in Daniel's eyes as the infamous assassin had him in his grasp, he could clearly remember Wright's panic.

That was when he'd taken action, he'd taken the darger from his jacket and darted towards DeKiller, plunging the blade into the assassin's hand and making him release Daniel. As the young attorney returned to his father's side, Logic had squared off against DeKiller. 

The knife-fight itself was somewhat hazy in his mind, he remembered getting wounded, that was for sure, but then... that's right, that was the first time the dagger's curse had affected him. 

He remembered the power that coursed through him, a burning fury and bloodlust that was, according to the tales, demonic in origin. He remembered DeKiller on the ground, remembered plunging the dagger into his shoulder and twisting the handle. That was one of the dagger's darkest secrets; upon twisting the handle, a potent venom would be released; cobra venom, the chemicals, when released into the victim's bloodstream, would block receptors that caused the diaphram to work, slowly suffocating them. Logic remembered looking down at DeKiller as he gasped and pleaded for mercy, he remembered loving the rush it gave him.

Wright had called out to him, cutting through the madness and the demon's control like a hot knife through butter. He remembered sirens of ambulances coming closer. 

Back in his office, Logic was snapped out of his thoughts by Pess' chin on his knee. He chuckled and scratched her behind the ear, returning the dagger to the table and remembering how the dog had protectively placed herself between the Wrights and the battle at the time. "You're such a good girl Pess, so strong and brave."

Pess whined happily, nuzzling into Logic's hand and closing her big brown eyes.

After a while of head-scratching, Pess settled back down to nap and Logic took the dagger out again, gazing at the reflection of his gunmetal grey eyes. For an instant, he thought he saw a flash of crimson in the grey, but as soon as it had appeared, it vanished. He shook his head and stowed the dagger away again. 

No, that was almost two years ago. It was over. Unless The Librarian got any ideas, he wouldn't have to use that dagger ever again.