Scene - Here Right Now

It was an odd email to be sure and, as excited Nate was, as much as he was screaming in joy on the inside, he was still skeptical. An email from Disney, about voice acting.

Dear Mr Nathan Sharp

A supporter of yours has brought your resume to our attention, both singing and voice acting, and we are very impressed.

You might know about Sing, our film about a singing contest in an animal world that follows a young gorilla. Well, despite the stage of development and marketing, we're still lacking in a suitable voice for one side character; a charming lynx with a heart of gold whose speaking voice is screechy and implies a terrible singer but who has a sweet and angelic voice.

After hearing your work we have decided to cast you in that role. We were given links to videos with a character called "Cyndakill" and it is perfect for the speaking voice of the character we have in mind. Not only this but we were shown, rather enthusiastically, a song of yours that doesn't seem to be anywhere else. We have attached it so you can confirm that it is you singing in the file and, if it is you, we were hoping we could use this song as your character's song for the contest.

We look forward to hearing from you.

After this, there was a signature and a printed name and title. But Nate didn't take it in, he was already opening the attachment. When it opened, Nate did a double-take at the file name; 'Here Right Now - Nathan Sharp.mp3'. He vaguely remembered that song but he wasn't sure.

Then it started playing.

As the first notes flowed from his speakers, Nate's eyes widened. And as the voice followed suit his chest tightened. This... this song. He hadn't sang this in years, hadn't even thought about it.

Morgan heard the voice and poked her head into the lounge, seeing her boyfriend sat in shock, staring at his laptop, from which the song was coming. "Nate? Are you okay?" The song was beautiful and the voice was unmistakably Nate's, just younger than she'd ever heard it.

Nate shook his head, tears welling up in his eyes; he'd forgotten all about this, all about the memories linked with every note. His fingers moved in his lap as if he were playing the chords in the present as the notes of the past filled his mind. He was still in shock, still couldn't believe he was hearing this after all these years.

Morgan rushed over and wrapped Nate in a gentle hug, not speaking, just holding him until the song finished.