Scene - Alone

A/N - the above art is by and used with the permission of my friend sorascribbles also yes I am Daultin trash so that's why this is so shippy. It just kinda happened bc of a prompt on tumblr so yeah I hope you're ready to cry again :)

They held hands as they stood, silent, under the stars. No words needed to be said, just the knowledge that the other was there for them was enough. They'd lost track of how long it'd been since they'd seen the sky, vision unhindered by thick mists, but the gently winking lights put them at ease.

It was the bard who spoke first, a light breeze ruffling his golden blonde hair. "The stars sure are beautiful, aren't they?"

"Yeah," the other man responded, "truly an awe inspiring sight. And definitely a relief after all that darkness. Finally, Barovia can sleep soundly."

Paultin turned to his companion, a sad smile on his face. "I miss them..."

"Me too Paultin, I'm sure Evelyn would've loved this."

"Not as much as she'd love the sunrise. She'd probably fall to her knees and pray to Butthander."

Diath chuckled, "Yeah, least Strix is still with us in that." Both men returned their gaze to the sky; both, in their own way, saying a small prayer for their friends' souls, Paultin's grip tightening on Diath's hand.

"Y'know what I miss most though Diath?"

"Hm?"

"You."

Paultin turned again to look at the rouge, but he was met with an empty space as tears welled up in his eyes. He was the lone survivor of the Waffle Crew, it'd been countless years since his friends had perished, slain in combat with Strahd. The vampire lord had turned him, doomimg him to an eternity of mourning. He still visited their graves at St Markovia's, but he'd dedicated his now eternal life to helping other adventurers. And the last group had finally done it. He could sense it; Evelyn, Strix and Diath were finally at peace, their souls passing into the light.

The bard sank to his knees and wept bitterly. They were free, but now he was alone. But not for long. He would stay there, in that very spot, until the sun finally rose. Hopefully he'd be able to join them in the next life.