Scene - The Thrill of the Hunt - Spooptober Day 5

It was late, around midnight he thought, as he stalked through the shadows looking for his next meal. Dark clouds drifted across the sky, casting the land in darkness as they obscured the moon's silvery light. In all honesty, Connor didn't expect to find anyone out this late. If he was lucky he'd find someone on an emergency errand run, if he wasn't, he'd have to pretend to be lost or injured and get himself invited into someone's home. And if he was really unlucky he'd have to use the precious little morsel he'd kept locked away at home; a pretty, twenty-something called Rosie. He'd captured her under the guise of wanting to hang out, hypnotised her and trapped her in her own worst nightmare. A chuckle escaped him as he thought about how delicious she'd taste when he finally killed her. The chemicals that fear released into the bloodstream were like a drug to him, almost an aphrodisiac.

His ears pricked up, he heard someone coming. A steady heartbeat, footfalls, muttered curses at being out so late. It was a male, he was saying how he had work the next day, how he had to drop his kids off at school early. Connor smiled, his prey coming into view under a streetlamp as he slowly approached, unable to hide the crimson gleam that flashed in his eyes. He called out to them as he drew nearer, his features arranged into an innocent smile. "Hey, dude! You think you can help me? One of my cats got out and I'm really worried about him."

The man looked up at Connor, the agreement to help dying on his lips as he saw that flash. He dropped the shopping bags he'd been carrying and ran into the night, fleeing the man who'd called to him.

Connor groaned in annoyance as he began to dart after his prey. Why did that always happen? Anyone would think they didn't want to die. 

He chased the man away from the well-lit streets into back alleys and parks, away from the streetlights. He could hear the other stumbling in the dark but he himself could see clearly. Darkvision was one of the many blessings this new existence granted him among others. He remembered his first kill very clearly; it was the one who'd sired him, turned him, on the day Connor Mountain died. As soon as his eyes had opened, he'd turned on the other vampire, tearing them apart, feasting on their flesh, and since then he knew he was one of the strongest. One of the most powerful vampires in existence. 

He rarely used those powers, though. Outside of feeding, he could never really be bothered. One thing that was a pain though was video making; now he was a vampire, he didn't show up on camera. He'd had to put his channel on hiatus until he could find someone who could reproduce his face in makeup so he could be seen and while he could have been using that time to work on scripts for when he finally came back, he didn't. He was immortal, he thought, he had forever. 

He'd finally cornered his prey in an isolated patch of trees in a park, far away from any houses. He heard the human stumbling blindly, he smelt his fear. "Come out, come out~" Connor taunted, "I know you're here, you're just delaying the inevitable, why not face me and embrace death? Not many people get that blessing you know." He knew exactly where the man was, this was just for the theatrics, just like the long, black coat and the scarlet coloured scarf around his neck. Though the latter had another purpose.

He rounded a crop of trees and saw his prey cowering there, the scent of pure terror made the vampire laugh darkly. 

The man stood again, glaring at the pinpricks of crimson light that were all he could see of the monster who'd chased him. "G-get away from me you emo freak! This isn't funny... I'm calling the police!"

"No, you aren't." Connor drawled, his lips curved in a smirk. Suddenly his scarf unwound from around his neck and shot at his victim, binding him tightly, coils tightening around his struggling form. He stalked closer still, now right in front of his prey, the scent of fear utterly overwhelming him.

The man had started sobbing, begging to be spared. "Please... I'm a single father... I-I have three daughters, two of them are under 10 you've gotta let me go, don't make them grow up without a daddy.."

The vampire smiled coldly, already leaning in towards the other's neck, making one last quip before plunging his fangs into the human's soft and tender flesh. "Yeeaah no. Sorry man but sometimes, life just kinda... sucks."