Scene - Stirring

Palms on the tabletop, standing tall and looking out over his players, Matthew Mercer allowed a small smile to play across his lips. Pale eyes darted from one to another, scanning them all as they frantically tried to come up with a plan to take care of the newest monster that the chat had voted to throw at them. 

His head tilted to the side as his eyes settled on Orion; as per usual, the dragonborn's player was doing his best to return order to the Vox Machina, trying to get everyone to shut up so everyone's plans could be heard. 

The DM's eyes gleamed with a faint, deep violet lustre as he watched. The shaven-headed man became surrounded with a golden and red fire that crackled with arcane electricity, the storm growing in intensity as Tiberius' frustration grew.

He turned his attention to Sam, the bard's player. He was, perfectly in character, trying to use this catastrophe as an excuse to show off to Pike as much as anything, and Matt could see the violet glow around him pulsing with his character's rapid heartbeat.

Marisha was in heated discussion with Liam and Laura; Keyleth and Vex'ahlia had a plan, a very reckless one, but Vax'ildan wasn't having any of it. The players of the twins had similar auras, Liam being surrounded with a deep navy smoke that shimmered with wisps of gold and Laura emanating a mist of deep, pine green that shimmered with gold and silver leaves.

Marisha's form, however, gave the appearance of being entwined with shamrock and silver vines, blowing in a non-existent wind; the nature that Keyleth surrounded herself in. 

Ashley was speaking jovially with Travis, glowing with an aura of pure gold that contrasted heavily with the dull bronze flicker of the flames that danced around the goliath's player's form.

Finally, Mercer's attention turned to Taliesin. The aura that the gunslinger's personality gave his player had always fascinated Matt; similar to Marisha, the aura emanating from him had a solidly defined shape, but this was anything but natural. The man's outline crackled with golden electricity that flew from gears of bronze. The DM could quite literally see the gears turning as Taliesin weighed up his own options and looked his sheets and handbook over and over.

Matt gave a chuckle and his fingers drummed softly on the tabletop, his hair began to blow in the same non-existent wind that stirred Marisha's aura as wisps of pure, white light wound through his hair, like strands from an angel's head. Arcane lilac energy crackled from his fingertips, sparking across the tables and disturbing papers as it went and the glow from his eyes grew brighter.

Now he could see past the auras of the characters and to the players themselves.

Liam glowed with a pale golden light that betrayed his gentle nature.

Laura was enveloped by lilac flames; gentle and kindly, but determined.

Ashley's aura became a low, red fire; powerful and strong.

Travis gave off a similar golden glow to Liam, but also showed deep red fire within the gleam; a wise and gentle soul who would fight to the last for what he believed in.

Taliesin emanated a crackling jade electricity; he was shrewd, quick-thinking and good in a pinch.

Marisha's aura was gentle and pure and white. Though punctuated, was the glow, with sparks of crimson; a gentle and kindly soul that wasn't above cheeky or 'immature' behaviour.

Orion's form crackled with pure golden energy; a leader, a plan for everything and wits as quick as lightning.

And Sam was sparking in a similar fashion to Orion; emerald electricity crackling around his form. Quick wit, expert improvisations but with a jealous streak.

The table fell silent and all eyes turned to him. Matt blinked, and willed the sight away, causing the auras to fade. Not that it mattered; none could see the glow in his eyes, none could see the arcane power that he radiated. None could sense his abilities.

The players all turned back to each other; all determined, all focused. They nodded, smiling as plans began to fly together in their minds almost as one.

Orion smirked, turning to Matt; "Right then," he said, Tiberius' voice laden with smugness, determination and satisfaction, "here's the plan..."