Scene - New Life, New Chance

A/N: This scene is dedicated to/about a dear friend of mine. Due to them being kin with Miles Edgeworth, they understandably have a rough time around this season. Miles/Mob/Rhys/whatever kinshift you're feeling right now, this one's for you :)

They glanced at the calender again; December 14th 2016. It would be happening in eleven days. As much as they didn't want to, they always had a rough Miles shift around Christmas, and this was the year that the games showing that life of theirs was set. On Christmas day of 2016, they was tried for the murder of Robert Hammond due to the events of DL-6, the murder of their father. While they knew they were innocent of the crime, the anniversary of that tragedy, Christmas day, still haunted them.

Feeling a nudge on their leg, they looked down; it was Grevious, their bullmastiff. They smiled and scratched her behind the ear. "Hey there Grevious, you okay?"

The dog nodded and gave a small, contented boof, laying her chin back on their knee.

Miles gave a small chuckle, while Grevious was no Pess, they still loved her to bits. "That's good. You wanna play?"

Another contented boof and the dog flopped down on her belly and rolled over, as if asking for belly scratches.

They obliged, happily giving their dog lots of love. If they were to be honest, she was one of their anchors. A solid thing they associated with this life and this world, she was one of the things that helped settle their anxiety. 

There was a call from downstairs from their sister and Grevious got up and trotted out, dinner was ready for her and she wanted food.

Miles quickly deflated, so they went to their beardie, Karson. she was an inquisitive little thing and, with Miles being dragonkin, she felt like family.

They took her out gently, giving her a strawberry to eat, and watched with a smile. They ran a hand through their short, red hair. It was definitely different to the hair they had in any of their other lives, except as Randall perhaps, but they liked it; it was what set them apart and what made them special.

Being Miles Edgeworth wasn't all bad, they reflected. They were a beloved character, one that almost every single fan loved. Also being Phoenix Wright was a help. They knew they were respected, loved. They had more friends in this life than they had in others. 

Unlike in their life as Church, they didn't have to lead an army into war.

Unlike their life as Sans, they didn't have to worry about the timelines.

Unlike Nagito, Izuru or Kyosuke, they weren't being forced to murder their friends.

They had their dog, their beardie, their hoard, the canonmates they'd found online. They had people who'd be there for them when shifts went bad. 

Not long now, they thought as they gave Karson another strawberry, seventeen days and they wouldn't have to worry about a Miles shift going bad for a while.

People cared about them, loved them despite barely knowing them.

And despite it all, it was still them.