Scene - Come - Spooptober Day 16

A light mist drifted over the surface of the hidden lake in the depths of the forest, shimmering in the silver moonlight. The trees were bare and the ground was covered in dead leaves, crunching under the footfalls of a young child as the approached.

A gentle breeze blew through, ruffling the child's dark hair and their clothes. They shivered, glancing up at the moon, thin wisps of cloud drifting across its face. They sniffled, hugging themselves to conserve warmth, and trudged on. 

The mist on the lake swirled, stirred by the breeze, and began to gather, forming into the shape of a maiden in an elegant gown. She and her dress were as pale as the moon that shone high above, casting its glow upon the scene. Slowly, she began to move, to dance. She glided across the lake's surface with ease, twirling and dipping gracefully. 

The child drew closer, their eyes wide and full of wonder. Her movement hypnotising to the small one. A soft melody playing in their mind; soothing piano chords that just put them even deeper under the maiden's spell. 

The woman danced on, seemingly to the music that only the child could hear. 

They stood by the lake's edge, gazing out at the spectre as she danced. Their mind was utterly blank besides the song, all worried abated, no thought of family or home. They took a step forward.

Then another.

And another.

They kept walking out into the frigid waters of the lake, towards the dancing maiden, the water rising further and further up their tiny form.

She turned to them as they approached, a soft and caring smile on her ghostly features as she extended a hand in invitation to dance.

The as the water began to swallow the child, the music slowed, nearing the piece's end. They couldn't swim, but even if they could, they wouldn't try. They couldn't try. 

As the final notes of the piece played in the young one's mind, they reflexively gasped, icy water pouring into their lungs. 

Another child missing, another body in the lake.

And still, the maiden danced. As she had done for centuries and would do for centuries to come. 

Come.

Come little children....

Come and dance.