Scene - In My Blood

A/N: This was filling a prompt for a post it saw on tumblr ages ago. And yes it took me this long to put it on here.

 And yes it took me this long to put it on here

{^post in question^}

ON WITH THE THING

Sitting on a tree stump on the outskirts of the village, the elderly man gave a thin, relieved sigh as he rested his weary bones. He always loved returning to the village of Llanfair; he’d made lots of friends here, come to be considered family by many. He still remembered his first visit, vaguely. And he recalled watching those who had been mere infants when he first visited grow into fine adults.

Soon enough, a group of children, some accompanied by parents or elder siblings, rushed up the hill towards him. “Grandpa Levi! Grandpa Levi!” They called out in unison, their eyes alight with joy.

The old storyteller waved to them and laughed. “Ah, hello again children. My Oh my you’ve all gotten so big since I last saw you.”

Liam, one of the parents who’d been in the very first group of children he’d met on his travels, ruffled his son’s hair. “Hello again Levi, old friend. It’s been far too long. Shaun wanted to come but Lilly’s come down with the flu so he had to stay home.”

Levi nodded in understanding, reaching into his worn traveling cloak and taking out a vial of red liquid that he handed to the other man. “Here, this should help at least a little.”

“Thanks, we appreciate it.”

One of the children, a young boy with dark skin, tugged at Levi’s sleeve. “Grandpa Levi? What story do you have for us today?”

The old man smiled down at the child and chuckled. “Ah, of course, forgive me.” He shifted on the stump slightly, laying his cane across his lap as the kids all sat cross-legged before him. “Today’s story is one you probably know actually. It’s the tale of a great giant and the tiny little gnome he’d do anything to protect.”

The story ran for hours, well into the evening, until he came to its end. “And, as far as anyone knows, the two are still adventuring together. So if you see a large goliath with a beard giving a piggyback to a gnome in shining armour, don’t be afraid. They’re just as friendly as you.”

The children all cheered, those who had fallen asleep in their parents’ laps shifting as it stirred them.

“Now then, it’s time for you all to go home. It’s very late and if you don’t go to sleep then tomorrow will never come.”

As parents took their sleeping and tired children home, Liam hung back; he could tell that the travelling storyteller has been getting more tired and slightly slower in recent visits. “Levi? Can I have a sec?”

“Of course, what’s up?”

“Are you alright? I’ve been noticing you aren’t as spry as you used to be.”

Levi smiled, “it’s nothing to worry about Liam. I’m getting older, that’s all.

“At least spend the night with us, it’s far too late for someone your age to be wandering.

“Okay, if it’ll stop you worrying then I will.”

“It will.” Liam hoisted his sleeping five year old onto his back and the two men began their journey to the younger’s home.

When they arrived, Liam put his son to bed and checked in on his husband who was watching their daughter.

Shaun looked up at Levi as he entered and smiled softly. “Ah, Levi my friend. It’s nice to see you.”

“And you Shaun. How’s she doing?”

There was clear worry in the other man’s dark eyes as he looked to his daughter as she lay there. “She’s stable I think. I’m no cleric so I’m not exactly well versed in medicine.”

Levi gave a small nod of understanding, “I gave Liam an elixir that should help. I’m confident that Lilly is going to be fine.”

As if on cue, Liam walked in and gently hugged his husband. “She’s gonna be okay Shaun, go get some rest, I’ll stay up with her.”

The dark skinned man nodded, “Okay, I will. Levi, you know where the guest room is yes?”

“I do, don’t worry. If it’s okay with the two of you, though, I’d like to tell Lilly the story of of the beautiful druid with hair like flames who helped save the world.”

Liam and Shaun both looked at each other and nodded. “That’d be nice, thanks Levi.” Liam said softly.

Shaun stretched and yawned widely. “Goodnight you two, see you in the morning.”

As Shaun left, Levi settled down by Lilly’s bedside and began to tell the tale of Keyleth Ray from a tribe called the Ashari. Telling of how she could transform into beasts and elementals and talk with nature itself. He wasn’t sure if she could hear him but telling the child this story felt right.

Eventually he grew too tired to continue and Liam helped him to the guest room. He lay there, staring at the bare ceiling until his eyes grew too heavy. As the darkness began to swallow him, he remembered his own home; a village long since lost to the sands of time, and the faces of his family who had been lost with it.

Matt’s eyes snapped open and he gave a sharp intake of breath. He was under soft sheets. And there was a pressure on his bare chest.

Noticing his sudden awakening, Marisha stirred. “Matt? You okay babe?”

Of course, his fiancée. “I’m fine. Just… remembering something I thought I’d forgotten.”