Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 45

Start from the beginning

The general nodded.

“Continue then.”

“He is in league with the Taliban,” said Archer slowly, letting it sink in. “He has had a massive weapons shipment hauled over here. I believe he has plans to use it on the Western armies.”

The general cocked one eyebrow before looking down at the symbol again.

He shook his head in disbelief.

“Do you have the papers here?”

Archer nodded and handed over what he and the others had been able to take with them.

“There are some photos of Lachlan and others he has worked with.”

The general pushed away the other sheets and focused on the pictures, flicking through them.

“I could have sworn I have seen this face before,” he muttered, staring at Lachlan’s face intently.

He looked at more pictures and froze on the last one. The general held it up his face to get a closer look and nearly fell out of his seat.

It was a picture of Lachlan and his father, the same one Marian had seen in the study room.

He jabbed at the picture with his finger, pointing at the man next to Lachlan in the photograph.

“I knew this man.”

“Who was he?” asked Hamish, leaning over to get a better look.

The general closed his eyes.

“He betrayed our allied forces a decade ago. He was working with the Taliban and selling secrets to them about our armies. Eventually there was an investigation, and he was killed on a mission to apprehend him.”

“And you thought that threat was gone forever?” questioned Hamish.

The general nodded.

“We thought we’d stomped out any kind of betrayal, when clearly something new has arisen.”

“I fear you don’t have long either,” said Archer, rubbing the back of his neck.

“So you came all this way to warn the army?”

“I wanted to warn all the armies, and there’s another reason. Lachlan’s taken Marian with him.”

The general nodded and rubbed his forehead.

“I want you boys to give me any other papers you have taken with you. I will make a few calls and then we’ll see what to do next.”

                                                        ~ The next day~

Marian woke up to bright light streaming through the room’s windows and to find Lachlan getting dressed in a hurry.

He turned to look at her and frowned.

“Hurry up Marian, get changed into the dress I have laid out for you. We don’t have time to waste.”

Marian slowly got out of bed and scooped up the long dress.

“Why are we in such a rush?” she asked as she walked over to a corner to change.

“The weapons shipment has arrived and we need to ensure everything is in place and ready. I think the Taliban want to use the weapons sooner rather than later, so time is crucial.”

Marian turned her back to him and quickly changed into the new dress. Her heart was pounding and her mind was racing. What could she do to stop this?