Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 20

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 20

“How about some wine Marian?” offered Lachlan, holding the bottle out to her across the dinner table.

If Lachlan didn’t have a powerful network of criminals throughout the town, she would have already grabbed it and hit him over the head with it.

“Sorry Lachlan,” said Marian apologetically. “I’m not much of a wine drinker.”

‘Or I just don’t want to drink any of that with you,’ she thought bitterly.

Lachlan chuckled at her.

“Well you’ll learn to be,” he said, pouring her a glass.

'Need to get rid of it.'

Marian glanced across the room and could see a plant that was in dire need of a good drink.

She could also see a painting above it; which would work well for an excuse to get up.

She grabbed the glass and got up; walking towards the plant and painting.

“This is a lovely painting,” said Marian, quickly dumping the contents of her glass onto the plant. "You have good taste."

She drank a few drops that were still in the glass before walking back over to Lachlan.

“Done already?” he grinned, taking the glass off her and topping it up.

Marian frowned – he was probably trying to get her drunk, and a week wasn’t even up yet!

“Lachy, if you’re trying to get me drunk for certain reasons please don’t try. You promised me a week.”

“Dinner should only be a few more minutes,” said Lachlan, changing the subject and taking another sip from his glass.

                                                                    ***

“So what’s the vault made of?” asked Lucas to Ralph, one of Lachlan’s best men.

“Eh, not sure. Pretty strong though – the only way to open it really is to know the combination. Lachlan, Guy and two more of his men know the combination and that’s it. Lachlan doesn’t trust many people – plus it means if something happens to the money; he knows who to go after.”

“Smart idea,” said Lucas, thinking about how he could find out the combination for Archer.

“Yeah well anyway I’ve gotta get back to my post, so you should do the same,” said Ralph, slapping Lucas on the back.

Marian could probably find out the combination for him; but he knew it would be difficult for her. If Lachlan got suspicious it would be the end of ever getting out of his house – at least unharmed.

                                                                    ***

“You didn’t ask for chicken salt,” commented Ryan, sitting across from Tyler.

“Look guys, I said I was sorry. Just be happy we got fish and chips tonight,” muttered Tyler.

Seth chuckled – he found most of Tyler’s reactions rather funny to watch.

“What’s so funny?” asked Archer, coming over to join the boys who were gathered around the fold out table.

“Tyler is,” said Alex, stuffing a few chips in his mouth at once.