1864

What truly happened the night the Salvatore's died.

Aria's POV.

The summers orange sunset was setting it was warm as our bare feet scattered through the grass chasing one another.

My heart was pumping fast banging against my chest in the gardens, nothing feels better than this.

"You're fast but not fast enough!" I called sadly she reached the statue with a victory dance.

"Nooo! I must say you're putting me to shame, this is the fourth time in a row" I spoke catching up she smirked.

"I never lose hun. But look it you're getting faster all thanks to me" she said cockily waltzing towards me I squinted with a nod.

"All thanks to those sunrise runs Stefan's forced me into doing every aching morning" I told her with a dramatic sigh she chuckled.

"You'd be miserable without him pushing you forward all the time" she stated.

"Hardy har har" I drawled as we teased one another.

"I swear it he's up till the crack of dawn planning his next move to joke with me" I uttered as we laughed beneath the apple tree.

I turned on my heel but Katherine was already in front of me I shrieked.

"Katherine my lord how did you move so fast you-" she cut me off placing a hand to my mouth. "Want to go somewhere?" She suggested.

Katherine and I were like peas and carrots just how I was with Stefan, best of friends I laughed nodding pulling her arm.

"Come on!" she laughed as we ran off into the gardens.

Sitting on a log she tried teaching me to make ripples in the pond. "The sun is almost down" I told her.

"Oh why thank you I didn't quite see that" she mused shoving my arm playfully.

"We best scurry indoors don't want to face the wrath of my father" I spoke with a knowing look.

I pray everyday every night the man my father used to be is still in there somewhere the one who laughed and aspired in life. I know he's not gone he's beneath the rubble of his broken heart.

"Oh I quiver with fear" she joked.

"You know the rules no women aloud out after dark. All the spooky goblins will get you" I taunted waving my arms around and she rolled her eyes.

"There's no rules in our lives" she stated and I chuckled.

"Speak for yourself my friend you don't have overprotective goons on you're back every moment, come let's head in" I said.

"Woah woah cupcake not just yet" she said pulling me back down. "But father.." I trailed off.

"I thought nothing scared you" Katherine taunted.

"Place some daisies on my grave shall you" I exclaimed sarcastically.

"Why do you want to stay here anyway I thought you hated the dark?" I pointed out.