Daddy's Little Girl-8

The doctor lets me leave that morning with the warning that I had to be very careful and he gave me his phone number so that I could call him to be a witness if I go to court. Ellie offered to have me stay with her but I said that it's probably best if she just laid low and stayed out of things. I would feel so guilty if she get hurt because of me. With nowhere else to go, I try what I had suggested to Ryan. I went to church.

I walked into the church and a few people looked up but they went right back to praying. The pastor looks up but he keeps his eyes on me. He must recognize me from last time. Or maybe he can see the trouble and pain in my eyes. I don't really care how he knows, I just feel grateful when he walks over to me. With one look and a gentle hand on my back, he leads me into a small room off of the main room. It looks like an office. He helps me into a small couch and goes to grab me a glass of water. I graciously take it and wait for him to start.

"What is your name Miss?" He asks.

"Margret Charnet but everyone calls me Maggie." I reply quietly.

"Megan's daughter?" He asks, smiling. My mother always had that effect on people. Her optimism was infectious, even with just her memory.

"Yes. I am."

"May she rest in peace. Megan was a very good woman. Always had a smile on her face."

"Thank you sir. You know, I saw her the other day."

He gives me a very confused look. "Maggie, she has been dead for several months now."

"I know. It's a rather long story. I think I'm finally ready to tell someone."

"Well I have all the time you need." With that, I begin to tell my story.

When I finish I feel like I have a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders but I come crashing back down to earth with the realization of the fact that I just told someone which means death for Ryan and I, and I realize everything that has happened to me. I am no longer a young, innocent girl. These bring a stifling amount of weight back into my body and I just break down sobbing.

I sob until I can't breath and I feel faint. Now, In between each sob, I hiccup. I hiccup and sob until I have no more tears, no more breath, no more feeling. This entire time, the pastor sits in his chair across from me, not moving or speaking. I finally look up, having gained control of my tears. It is pitch black outside and the room is even colder than before. I shiver and a blanket is draped over my shoulders. My eyelids feel like lead and I give in to sleep easily, all the fight gone from my body.

The bright sunlight finally wakes me and I find myself in a strange office. Considering all of the odd places I have woken up in recently, this one doesn't surprise me. I begin to remember where I am and what happened last night. I jerk up and leap from the couch and look for the pastor. I find him outside in the main room of the church. Sunday morning mass has begun and I slip into the back of the room, trying not to disturb anyone. I try to remember the last time that I came to Sunday morning mass and it shocks me that I can't. I don't think I have come since my mother's death.

It feels very cleansing to hear the words of the sermon. I didn't realize how much I missed this until now, when I have finally returned. All too soon, the mass is over. After, I see the pastor talking a nice looking woman. As he is speaking to her, a small boy and girl come over and start to pull on her skirt. Right as I begin to look away, I see the pastor gesture over to me and when he sees me looking, he motions for me to come over.

"...troubled past but you know Megan. They are very similar." I hear him explain to the woman. I wonder why he is telling this woman about me? She gives me a big smile. I wave to her children and the girl shuffles behind her mother, looking up at me with big brown eyes but her brother waves back.

"How would you like that Maggie?" I hear the pastor ask. I missed the rest of the conversation and have no idea what he is talking about.

"I'm sorry, what?" I reply.

"Amy offered to let you stay with her. I mentioned you at the beginning of the service and after, Amy found me almost immediately." He replies, gesturing over to the woman. I grin and nod, but then stop. Thoughts of my father's threats pass through my brain. If I went with them, that would put Amy and her family in danger. Also, she already has two small children. Does she really need another person to look after?

"That is a very generous offer but I am afraid that I-" I begin,

"I will not take no as an answer. I am aware of the potential danger but I am also aware of the danger you would be in if you were to ever return to that house. Please let me help." Amy interrupts, almost pleading with me.

"What about the children?" I reply.

"Jack and Lauren would love another playmate. In return for me sheltering you, you could be babysitter for them." She insists. I can tell that she won't let this go. Reluctant to put them in danger but to tired to argue, I agree.

Amy grins and wraps me in a tight hug then kneels down and whispers to her kids, "She is now part of our family. You treat her like she is your sister alright?" Jack nods vigorously and sends a toothy grin up at me. Lauren comes out from behind her mother and gives me a tentative hug, then she squeezes tight. This small gesture sends tears to my eyes. I kneel down and hug her back. I thank Amy with all my heart as the tears fill my eyes and plunge down my cheeks.

I thank the pastor for all he has done for me and leave with my new family.

-------------------------$

Hey guys! Sorry it's short but I figured now was a pretty good place to end that chapter. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you stick around for more! :)

Love,

Eryn

P.S. Amy is on the side.