The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 35

Start from the beginning

Cal stirred, tensing for a moment in his sleep before relaxing, his face pale. On top of grieving for his brother and caring for a newborn, him and the others had been on house patrol again. Most of them hadn’t been to sleep for the best part of a week, just in case Dante was thinking of a repeat attack.

“Annie,” he mumbled. I looked at him, smiling softly. My fingers travelled down the line of his cheekbone, taking in every small feature on his face. His eyes slowly opened, looking seemingly endless as I stared into them.

“Aye?”

“Where’s Rosie?” he breathed, looking around in a panic. I rested a hand on his forearm, watching him carefully.

“Radleigh’s got her.” He seemed to sag with relief, lying back in the pillows as he blinked sleepily, evidently still needing to kip. The dark rings under his eyes shone in the bleak light of the room, making it look as thought someone had decided to punch him one.

You okay, darlin’? He murmured. I smiled calmly at him, lacing our fingers together and kissing his cheek.

“Yep,” I said contentedly, settling against him. He draped his arm around my shoulder, holding me close as I glanced around the room. It seemed unnatural to feel this peaceful in a house of wolves. Normally, I would have felt agitated that I didn’t know where everyone was but, right now, everything seemed…perfect.

You’ll jinx us this time, Cal chuckled. I rolled my eyes, flicking his chest gently with my fingers.

Weesht, Boyo, I muttered, a smile spreading across my face.

“Wheesht?” he voiced incredulously, straining his neck to look at me. “Is that any way to speak to the love of your life? The father of your child?” I smirked at him and nodded slowly, my hair bouncing against my shoulders.

“Yes, I think it is,” I replied quietly, the corners of my mouth twitching. Cal shook his head, moving out from underneath me. For a moment, I thought he was about to get up, and I was just about to ask him to get me a cup of coffee when he started to tickle me. And it wasn’t just the light-hearted sort of random tickle underneath the chin; no. This guy meant business.

I screamed with laughter, panting for breath as he persisted, a huge grin on his face as he sniggered with me. I stared up at him, shaking my head as I struggled for breath. Had anyone ever died from tickling?

I don’t know, Cal thought manically, care to try?

I kicked my legs fruitlessly, the smile never leaving my face as he dipped his head to kiss me, his fingers trailing over my cheek. My heart rate failed to decrease, the new slow in the movement doing nothing to calm my pulse down.

His other hand rested over my mark, making my eyes flutter and a gasp escape my lips. Our lips moved in sync, the pressure on the mark increasing as we pressed against one another, the blood pounding in my head.

“Cal,” I whispered, trying not to groan as his lips travelled down my neck, nipping at the skin with his teeth.

“What?” he asked, his fingers dangerously close to the waistband of my pyjamas.

“You’re not getting any,” I stated, batting my eyelashes at him. He groaned and rolled off of me, reminding me of a sulky toddler who’d just been scolded. He even had his arms crossed across his chest.

I smiled sweetly, getting off the bed and wandering over to the door. Caleb Greene wasn’t getting in my pants for the next foreseeable future, I would make sure of it. And as for siblings, Rosie was just going to put up with the joys of being an only child, because I was never, ever going through childbirth again.