71

We sat there on the call with her parents for ten minutes so far.

I've noted that Adaeze gets her sarcasm from her dad.

"Koda, what do your parents do?" her father asked me.
"My dad is a pretty big attorney and my mom recently became a stay at home mom a few years ago but she used to be a professor." I answered.
"Ah. You come from intelligent people." he stated.
"Yes, sir."
"Very good. You seem like a smart boy."
I snickered. "I'd like to think so."
"What do you plan to do with your degree, Koda?" her mom asked me.
"Oh, I would like to be a structural engineer. So designing and making sure structures can actually last."
"Why is that?" her dad asked.
"Why do I want to do it?"
"Yes."
"My uncle passed away after one of the bridges where I'm from collapsed on his way to work." I explained.
"Oh goodness..." her mom responded.
"It happened when I was young but it took a toll on me and I thought it was ridiculous that something that was meant to help people was so faulty. I wanted to become one of the people that made sure things did what they were supposed to do. Especially things like that. Because finding out about it was scary. And I know that's why a lot of people, including myself for a few years, are afraid of heights or bridges and things like that." I explained.
"Wow..." said Mrs. Okoye.
"Good answer. I appreciate you not just saying it will make you a lot of money. You must have care for your job. Passion. Or else you will treat it like it's nothing and your work will show it." said Mr. Okoye.
"Yes, sir." I agreed.
He's a pretty motivational guy. But Adaeze told me that a while ago.

"Can I ask what you both do?" I said.
"I am an accountant." said Mrs. Okoye.
"Oh, that's cool. Have you always enjoyed math?" I asked her.
"Yes. It has been my favorite subject since I was a little girl." she smiled.
"She is very weird." said Mr. Okoye and we all laughed while Mrs. Okoye playfully shoved him.

"I am a surgeon." he told me.
"Wow. Lots of school."
"Much. It is why I am bald."
We laughed.

"I think I hear Akin." said Mrs. Okoye.
"Akin is my brother." Adaeze reminded me.

I'd previously calmed down. But now I'm nervous again.

"Akin!" Mr. Okoye yelled.
I didn't hear anything.

Then a door opened.
"Yes, sir?" said another man's voice.
"Come and meet your sister's boyfriend."
"Boyfriend?" he questioned.

"Does...he know you have a boyfriend?" I whispered to Adaeze.
She shrugged. "I told my parents." she whispered back.
My eyes widened.

IT'S POSSIBLE HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I EXIST?!

I saw a large man enter the frame.

"Pigeon, who is this man?" he asked.
Pigeon?
"Akin, this is Koda. My boyfriend."
"It's nice to meet you." I spoke up.
"My dearest family might I please have a private word with my sister and...Koda." Akin asked.
"Now what if I was not done talking to my daughter?" said Mr. Okoye.
Yes, please stay...
"Baba, you can speak to her later. This is a sibling conversation." Akin told him.
"You are inside my house. Your conversation is my conversation. You do not pay the bills." said Mr. Okoye.
Adaeze laughed but I was afraid to.
"Mommy." Akin said.
"Okay, come on." Mrs. Okoye pat her husband's hand.
"What?" he responded.
"Leave them be. They would like to talk amongst themselves." She stood up.
"You are dismissing me in my own home. The house where I-..."
"If you tell me you pay the bills I will cause you harm in front of your son and son-in-law. Stand." she stated.
He got up.
Son in law...

"Goodbye, you two. I have been bullied in my own house and will neva see you again." said Mr. Okoye.
"You are so dramatic. Go." Mrs. Okoye gently pushed him off. "Goodbye, my dear! It was very nice to meet you, Koda!"
"Bye, mommy!" said Adaeze.
"You as well!" I responded.

Akin sat down in front of the camera. He crossed his arms.

Dude's pretty strong.
Then again Adaeze did say he plays football.

"What is this?" Akin asked.
"Mommy said they would be free to meet him today and he wanted to." Adaeze answered.
"You did not even tell me...that you would be dating in America. You said you were going for school."
"I did go for school. I am in school." she argued.
He looked at me. "What do you do?"
"I am...also in school." I answered.
"For?"
"Civil engineering..."
"So you are not an idiot. Good." he stated.
"Thank you...?"
"Are you directly American?"
The dreaded question since he...hates us. "Well..." I began. "None of us are reeeeaalllyyyy from here. You know?" I snickered. "Except like native Americans."
"Were you born in America?" he asked.
"Yes..."

He just stared at me.

"Akin." Adaeze called. "Do not do this."
"I didn't like that you were going all the way over there anyway. And you come back with an American man on your arm. Why is that? Could you not find a man at home?"
"I did not come to America to find a boyfriend. I came because the school was nice and would give me a scholarship. I just so happened to find a boyfriend while I was here. It is not about specifically wanting an American man. They are...not my first choice."
I looked at her.
"But he is very good. To me and to everyone. I was not going to miss out on a beautiful man just because he is American. He is intelligent, funny, kind, giving, and very handsome. You have nothing to worry about, he is not how you assume him to be." she stated.
That was so sweet and somehow...offensive, but also fair.

Akin looked back at me.
I smiled.

"Please. Just talk casually. You will like him too. But not as much as me." she smiled.
Akin sighed and leaned in further with his arms on the table.
I guess this is when we begin.