39

I was on my way back to the gym for practice after changing clothes and dropping off Adaeze.

Coach said this would be the last afternoon practice. The rest would just be in the morning because of people's work and class schedules. I'm fucking excited.

My phone rang while I was in the car.
I answered it when it connected to the Bluetooth.
"Yea?" I answered.
"Bro, do me a favor." said Dylan.
"Why?"
"Because I give you the notes so you don't fucking fail and you owe me." he stated.
He was not wrong. "Alright what is it?"
"Are you and Adaeze free Friday?"
"I am. I don't know about Adaeze. Why?" I answered.
"I kind of invited this girl from my class to come see a movie with me and some friends before I even asked the friends. And she said yes." he explained.
"Alright? Are you asking me to make this a double date?"
"Basically. If it was you and Tristan, it'd be too many guys and the vibe wouldn't be right for me and her. It'd be weird. If you're with Adaeze being all lovey dovey, feeding each other popcorn and shit, then that vibe will swim over to us and we'll be doing the same thing. I think she's into me. We've been talking after class for like the past two weeks and she gave me her number last class."
"Mm."
"Come on, dude. Help me out!"
"Alright, I'll tell Adaeze when I get out of practice. I'm at the school now." I told him.
"Alright. Cool."
"Yea, I gotta go."
"Alright."
I hung up.

At least that didn't put a lot of pressure on me to figure out our second date.
I found a parking spot and got out.

I wish I was asleep right now.

~~~

Practice ended and I was getting back in the car. The guys were going somewhere to eat but I didn't feel like it.

I made it to the house and walked inside.

"It smells really good actually." I heard my dad say.
I looked into the kitchen and saw Adaeze by the stove.
"Thank you." she said sweetly.
Tatum was sitting at the counter.

They heard me shut the door and looked at me.
"Hey." I greeted.
"Hey, bud. How was practice?" my dad asked.
"It was fine. I missed two threes though so I'll probably work on that tomorrow."
I walked over to the stove.

"What're you making?" I asked Adaeze.
"Fried rice. And I'm frying the rest of the plantains."
"Like...shrimp fried rice?" I questioned.
There wasn't any shrimp in the pot.
She snickered. "No. This is Nigerian fried rice. It's different."
"Oh."
"And for dessert, puff puff."
"Puff puff?" I questioned again. "What is that?"
"It's fried dough."
"How is that a dessert?" Tatum spoke up. I didn't threaten to hit him because I wondered the same thing.

She took one off of a plate and I noticed they were small balls of bread.
She handed it to Tatum.
He ate it.

His eyes widened. He looked happy while he chewed it.

"What?" I asked.
She picked up another one and I watched her force it into my mouth to shut me up.
I laughed and just chewed it.

Oh...

It's not regular bread.
It's really sweet.
It's good. Guess I'm not supposed to doubt her.

"You can put more sugar on it if you want." she told me. "I bought powdered sugar just in case. But I typically make it with more sugar and nutmeg than normal. That's how me and my mother make it."
"I'll try it with more sugar later. I gotta go shower."
"Okay. It'll be done when you get out."
I hurried upstairs to shower fast.

I wanna move out.

I know that sounds random. But if it was just me here, when I got back I could've kissed Adaeze or whatever without feeling weird about it. I know technically my dad and my brother know. But nobody likes showing intimacy in front of their family. It's weird. I don't even know how I'm gonna handle kissing my wife at our wedding. Let my parents see me kiss somebody? That's weird as fuck.

And that's actually the only reason for me to move out. Because I don't have strict parents. Never have. I can go out when I want and if I get a call it's just them making sure I'm alive then I'm told to be safe and we hang up. My girlfriend was allowed in my room. I started drinking at 16. Not a lot and only as long as I was around my dad but they'd let me sip stuff. I can curse freely as long as it's not at them or in front of guests. I don't pay rent even though I'm an adult. Like living here has more perks than cons. I'm just...awkward.

I grabbed my stuff for a shower. Pajama pants and a t-shirt since I wasn't going to bed yet.

I wonder if Adaeze's sleeping in my room again tonight.
If she's not...would she let me sleep in hers?
Because like what if she's just not because she misses her bed, you know? Which I'd get even though I can sleep anywhere. I miss my bed when we're on the road to a game. So yea, I'd understand. So like...could I just go in there?

Is that too clingy?
I told her I was clingy, this isn't my fault.

Wait...

I wasn't always this clingy.
Was I?
No...
THIS IS HER FAULT!
I used to be normal!
Wooooooooowwwwwwww...
I was fine being left alone. Now she leaves my room and I'm like...where the hell is she going? Take me with you? This is bullshit.

I showered and headed back downstairs to eat.