70

I woke up with the meeting on my mind and immediately started looking for what I'd wear. Even if it was only waist up in a laptop camera.

I stared at my closet while Adaeze was still asleep in my bed.

I looked through all of my good shirts.

I had polos, dress shirts, and sweaters.
I don't feel like wearing a sweater.
I guess now I had to try other stuff on to see how I liked it.

I threw on a black polo shirt since I was already shirtless.

I looked in my mirror.

Simple. Easy.
So far this is a go to.

I took it off and grabbed a blue dress shirt.

I slid it on and buttoned it up.
Fuck.
This isn't bad either.

I took it off and saw a pink polo. My mom bought this for me like two Easter's ago. I'm not wearing this.

Then I saw a white dress shirt. Seemed too serious.
I had a black dress shirt that I wore for prom. I had an all black suit and a chain with sunglasses. I was one of those assholes. Got prom king though. For some reason?

I heard stirring around behind me and looked.
Adaeze was stretching awake.

"Baby..." I whispered.
"Hm...?"
"Daisy...!" I whispered louder.
"Hm?!" She sat up with her eyes barely open and one strap of her nightgown off her shoulder.
"Good, you're awake." I said normally. "I need you to help me figure out which shirt to wear. Black polo or blue dress shirt?" I asked.
She scoffed and laid back down.

"Come on! I need help! I gotta make a good impression. I still have to shower."
"They cannot smell you. You are talking through a camera..." she murmured.
"Yea, but I want to look clean." I stated.
"You are so dramatic. Lie down. It is not even time yet." She covered her head with the blanket.
I sighed.

I laid the shirts down on the bed and looked at both of the options again.

"Shit." I scratched my head.

I walked over to Adaeze and gently peeled the blanket off of her.
She laid there on her back with her eyes closed.
"Baby..." I whispered.
"Hmmmmmm...?" she groaned.
"Can you help me please?" I asked again.
She turned over and ignored me.
I snickered.
"Come on, mama." I bent down and kissed her shoulder. Then up her neck. "I just wanna make sure I look good. Just pick a color, that's all." I kissed her shoulder blade then back to her shoulder and down her arm.
"The blue one." she mumbled.
I smiled and kissed her cheek three times. "Thanks, gorgeous." I covered her in the blanket again.

Now I can actually start getting ready.

~

I was fully dressed in my dress shirt and pants. Adaeze was doing her makeup in her room while I fixed my hair in the bathroom.

Well she thinks I'm fixing my hair.
I'm actually psyching myself up.
I'm not talking to myself or anything.
I'm just...trying not to be too nervous.
If I'm nervous, and I stutter or say something weird, it's gonna ruin everything.
And then they're gonna tell her to break up with me cause I'm an idiot.

When I felt like I was okay, I left the bathroom and headed to Adaeze's room.

I opened the door and saw her setting up her laptop on her desk.
She was in a sweater and long skirt.
I don't think I've ever seen her so modestly dressed.
Not that she dresses immodestly but...this definitely isn't something she'd just casually put on.

"Are you ready?" she asked. "We have three minutes."
"Yea, how do I look?" I asked and held my arms out.
"Very handsome. Come sit."
I walked over and took one of the seats at her desk. She took the other.

My heart was racing while she went to the website we were going to have our call on.

"Should I call them Mr. and Mrs. Okoye?" I asked.
"Um...Yes."
"Okay." I nodded.

I took a deep breath.
"Why are you so nervous?" she smiled at me. "You have nothing to worry about."
"I don't know. I just don't want to embarrass myself. Or you."
"You won't. You will be just fine and they will like you almost as much as I do." she stated.
"Almost?"
"Well I certainly hope my dad does not try to kiss you."
I snickered.

I watched her hand reach for the mouse and she clicked the call button.

My heart is pounding.
I don't know why I'm taking this so seriously.
But meeting anyone's family is anxiety inducing. It's a big deal and a lot of the time whatever the family thinks about you is gonna affect how your partner thinks about you. And I don't want her to start hating me.
I don't want to make her or myself look bad. And I don't want them to think I'm not good enough for their daughter.
Because I really like her.
And I want this to last.

I anxiously stared at the screen.

Then watched two people accept the call and appear.

Her mom immediately smiled when she saw us. She's where Adaeze gets her smile. It's also perfect.
Her dad was bald and wearing glasses. He had a grey beard.
Her mom had braided hair.
Adaeze looks almost exactly like her mom. They're both beautiful. It's like I'm getting a future look at what Adaeze will look like when she reaches 40.

"Hi, mommy!"
"Hello!" her mom answered.
"Do I not get a hello?" her dad teased.
"Hi daddy!" she laughed. "I was getting to you."
"Oh, I'm sure."
She giggled.
"And this must be Koda? Yes?" he asked.
"Yes, sir. It's nice to meet you both." I responded.
"Yes." her father said.
"What a handsome young man." her mom smiled.

My heart is beating so fast.