56

Game day.

I went the whole day staring at the clock. Anything anyone said to me went in one ear and out the other.

I was sitting in the locker room dribbling a ball under my legs while coach spoke.

People were getting seated out in the stands.

I couldn't hear shit the coach was saying.

I wondered if Adaeze was still coming.

For some reason I didn't see her all day today. She didn't have class so I didn't have to bring her to school. But she lives in my house. So where was she?
When I asked my parents, they didn't know either.

"You boys ready?! Game faces!" Reyes shouted and I finally listened.

I could hear the announcer out there telling the crowd to get ready to welcome us.

"FALCONS ON THREE!" Trent shouted. "ONE, TWO, THREE!"
"FALCONS!" everybody yelled.

Coach Parker opened the door for us and we all went out.

We each grabbed a ball and jogged to our side of the court.
The people in the stands cheered when they saw us.

I didn't even look at the other team.

I went for a layup and made it.
We all knew what to do. Split up into lines on the court for layups and rebounds.

While I waited in line, I looked into the stands.

I saw my dad walking up.
My mom was right behind him with Tatum. She was wearing a shirt with our mascot and my number on it. Thirteen.
But Adaeze wasn't behind them.
My brows furrowed.

But it was my turn for the next layup.

I made it and jogged to the other line.

I looked back over there.

Then saw my mom waving at someone.
My eyes followed.

Adaeze was there and walked up the bleachers.
She was in a t-shirt and skinny jeans. Her shirt was like my mom's except it said 13's girlfriend on the back.
I smiled to myself while she sat down between my mom and Tatum.

Then continued warming up.

~

We stood around waiting for the whistle to be blown. Just so Jaylen could get the ball.

The ref held the ball between Jaylen and the other team's center. Both of them were crouching and getting ready to jump.

The whistle was blown and the ref tossed the ball up.

Jaylen touched it first and gave it to our side.

We started running while Trent dribbled the ball down the court.

Defense was there and he passed it to Marcus.

Marcus dribbled to the paint, but defense was there too.

He passed it.
To me.

I was open and before the other team could get to me, I took the shot.

The crowd went crazy.
I held three fingers in the air while we headed to the other side of the court.
"KODA SHAW WITH THE THREEEEEE!!!!!" said our announcer.

I stood there ready to perform defense while their point guard dribbled over.

I watched the ball.
He walked and scoped the scene out but I watched his hands with my arms out.

He attempted to pass it but I blocked that way. He tried to overhand it and I raised my arms.

Still he tried to pass it to my left and I stole it.

People started cheering while I dribbled it down the court.
I glanced behind me and saw Jaylen.
So I tossed the ball up to the backboard. And he jumped up to catch it then forced it in with a dunk.

"GREAT EXECUTION BY SHAW AND WILLIAMS!!!!" said the announcer.

We both screamed with each other then jumped up and bumped shoulders. The crowd cheered. We had to run back to the other side of the court where our other teammates had their hands out.
We waited for the other team to pass the ball in.

I wasn't bullshitting this season. I meant it when I said I wanted nationals.

We got the ball back and I had to pass it in.

"Koda, get your ass out of my face, dude."
"Bet you can't shoot it from right there."
"Shoot it."
"Shoot it."
"Shoot it. You won't."
"I dare you."

Unfortunately I had to pass the ball in next to the stands. Directly in front of Dylan and Tristan who sat on the bottom row of bleachers. They do this every game they go to in hopes I'll have to stand near them and they can get in my head. Idiots.

I passed the ball in to Trent.
"Lame!" Dylan shouted and Tristan laughed.
I jogged to my position. Assholes.

The other team was tightening up their defense. Crazy since the game only just started but I guess there's only so much of a lead you'll let your opposition have before you snap.

We were passing the ball around and Jaylen got it but was guarded by two guys.

I got in his line of view and he passed it.

A guy came in to guard me. I watched him while I dribbled between my legs then passed the ball to Marcus.
I went around the defense and held my hands out. Marcus passed it back.
I took it and shot it. Floater.

It went in.
"KODA SHAAAWWW!" said the announcer and the crowd cheered.

They're gonna up their defense on me.
Won't matter.