55

I sighed to myself while I sat there. In my gaming chair after finishing my third round in deep thought.

It had been a few days and I felt like, now that it wasn't just a crush, I had to tell my mom.
I mean we'd be under her roof the entire time. It's just gonna get harder to hide and I know at some point it'll upset Adaeze.

I took off my headset and got up.

On my way out of my room, I coincidentally ran into her on her way downstairs.

"Mom..." I called.
She turned and looked at me. "Hey, honey."
"Can I talk to you?" I asked.
She faced me completely. "Sure? What's wrong?"
I gestured for her to follow me into my room.

She came in and I shut the door behind her.

She sat on my bed and pat the spot next to her. "Sit. Are you okay?"
"Yea, I'm good. I just got something important to tell you..." I sat next to her.
"Okay, well what's going on?"
It's not that hard. I know she won't have a problem with it. I just also gotta get ready to get used to her being invested. I sighed. "Me...and Adaeze...are dating..."
She looked surprised.
So she really didn't notice?
"Oh." she responded. "Goodness, Koda. You scared me. I thought it would be something more serious."
"Well I mean..."
"I already figured something was up."
Now I was surprised. "What?"
"You two sneak around like mice. The amount of times you match outfits. Sweetheart, you've been staring at the girl since she got here. I figured something would happen sooner or later." She pat my knee and stood up.
"Huh?!" I exclaimed.
"What?" she asked.
"We don't sneak around!" Yes we do. "And when we match its on accident. We never planned it!" That part is true. "And I don't just stare at her!" Yes I do.
She snickered. "Okay, honey. I'm gonna go get started on lunch."
She opened the door to leave and I sat there with my mouth open.

"Tell my daughter in law it will be ready in twenty." she stated.
She shut my door after leaving.

"What the hell?" I asked aloud.

~

It had been a few weeks of class and practice.
This semester was already halfway over. But I wasn't worried about that right now. Our first game was tomorrow.

I was so hype that ever since I got home I'd been in the backyard dribbling and shooting.

I heard the back door open and looked.

Adaeze came out. "I was looking for you." she told me.
"Oh yea?" I shot it and made it. "Why?" I got the ball back.
"I just missed you." she answered while she came over.
I snickered. "Good." I walked over to her with the ball in my hand. "You can help me practice." I kissed her head then handed the ball to her.

She stared down at it then at me. "I do not know how to play this."
I laughed. "Just try to get around me. Come on." I crouched down with my hand out to defend.
She stood there holding the ball in her hands.
She just stared at me.

"Baby, I'm not gonna hurt you." I chuckled and stood back up straight.
"What do I do?" she asked.
"Just try to move the ball to the goal." I pointed at the basketball hoop. "And try to keep it away from me."
"Okay."

I got back in my stance.

She tried to swing the ball to the left and I just followed her. She tried going the other way and I followed. She giggled nervously.
I stayed watching the ball. "Don't make me laugh." I said and tried to stay serious.
"You keep following me!" she laughed and tried to get around.
"I'm supposed to!" I chuckled.
She tried running around me with the ball in her hands and I just stood up straight and caught her in my arms.
She held the ball close while laughing, still trying to keep it away from me. I wasn't really worried about that anymore.

I kissed down her jaw to her neck.
"This is cheating." she snickered.
"You don't even know the rules." I scoffed.
"Still."
I laughed and stood up straight.
"Did I help?" she asked.
"Yea, you helped. I feel ten times better as a player now." I stated.
"Good." She shot the ball and made it.
I stared in awe then looked back at her.
She was surprised too and looked at me in shock.
"Not bad. Well your form was terrible but you made it and that's what matters." I teased.
Now she was shocked by my rudeness and I laughed. "Okay, I'm sorry. It was good for a newbie."
"Thank you," she smiled.

I went to go get the ball.

"Come here." I said and stood across from the goal with the ball.
She followed me and stood directly in front of me.
I gave her the ball. Then turned her around with my hands on her waist so she faced the goal.
I positioned her hands how they were supposed to be. Which took a second because she's right handed and I'm left handed. Then I raised her arms to where they should be.
"Now shoot it." I told her.
She shot it and the moment she did, I poked her side. She squirmed and the ball went somewhere else.
"Awww..." I whined.

She hit my chest and I laughed. "That was your fault."
"What did I do?!" I asked and got the ball. "Look try again." I came back and handed her the ball. Then stood behind her again.
She fixed her hands on the ball correctly then lifted her arms again.
"Shoot." I poked her in the side and she giggled and squirmed.
"Stop it!"
"I'm not doing anything." I poked the other side.
She squirmed again. "Koda!"
"Okay, I'm done." I held my hands out in front of us so she could see. "See?"
She readied herself again and the moment I saw her hands go up to shoot, I brought mine back and tickled both sides.
She laughed and the ball did not go in the net.

"You know, for being the girlfriend of a basketball player, this is embarrassing." I said with my hands on my hips. "I can only give you so many tries."

She walked away from me.
But not to the door.

I watched her and saw her pick up one of the pool toys. She came closer.

"There's no water in that." I shrugged. I was bluffing. I actually had no idea whether there was or wasn't.
She sprayed me with it. "Yes, there is."
I stood there and tried to stay serious.
She sprayed me again. And I stared straight ahead trying not to snicker.
"It's cold." I stated.
"Is it?"
She sprayed me again.
"Give me that!" I laughed and took it.
She laughed and ran off but I ran behind her trying to spray her back.

The water was out.
She's such an asshole.
She noticed and laughed.
I rushed to the pool and refilled it.
Then ran after her again. She screamed and ran.

"Koda!" she shouted while she tried to get away.
"You started it!" I yelled back.
"No, I didn't!" She laughed.
We ran on the grass all throughout the backyard.