Chapter 105

Skinny dipping by Sabrina Carpenter

We've been swimming on the edge of a cliff I'm resistant, but going down with the ship. It'd be so nice, right? Right? If we could take it all off and just exist and skinny dip in water under the bridge.

The next morning Grayson wakes up early — well early for someone who was up until 1am the previous night. He tries not to wake me as he slowly pries his head from my chest where it remained all night. He's careful to pull the blanket up so i'm fully covered. He redresses himself, putting on a swimsuit and slinking out the door once he's brushed his teeth.

"Paris Blake." Vincent Blake's voice echoes my nightmares.

"You lost." Grayson gapes at me. I lost both my games. I lost Grayson. I lost.

Immediately Grayson is dragged back inside and I can see through the windows they're beating him black and blue again. 

I race towards him to try and help him, but then Danny and Sheffield Grayson walk out. Sheffield douses him in gasoline and Danny cocks a gun.

Then he fires and Grayson is dead. I scream and sob as I watch them turn to me, doing the exact same thing. I can't move. My feet are stuck on the ground.

The bullet plunges through my skin just like the last time.

In my sleep I breathe heavily and start to whimper in fear. Grayson immediately notices and comes back to my side. 

The second the bullet in my dream hits me I wake up in a sweat. 

"You okay, P?" Grayson asks me gently, a concerned tone as he sits close to me on the side of the bed.

Still wrapped in the sheets I lunge into his arms. He immediately holds me and rubs a hand up and down my back. 

"I got you baby." He hushes into my head as he kisses my forehead.

When we pull apart I sit up in bed, him still sitting next to me rubbing a hand up and down my thigh comfortingly.

"Nightmare?" He questions. I hum somewhat of a yes. "Wanna talk about it?" He offers. I shake my head. 

"Okay get back to sleep then. I'm going for a swim." He informs me. "You're leaving?" I whisper.

"I'll stay." He asks like a question, happy to stay if I want it.

"No. Go swim." I dismiss. "Want to come? You can just lay by the pool and sleep if you need." He suggests.

I contemplate it a moment longer and nod. He sits down patiently waiting as I get ready. 

I wear a bikini. As I brush my teeth in the bathroom with the door shut I find myself dissecting myself in the mirror. The scar on my stomach may have healed but it will never go away. The gasoline all over my body may have washed away but it's still there when I look. And every chess piece I ever touch will be my boyfriend being beat up. 

Grayson and I head outside to the pool at the early hours of 8am, he gives my hand a squeeze then dives in.

When Grayson swims he doesn't stop. He looks so angry pushing against the waves. I wonder what he thinks about when he swims. 

I lay back in the sun lounger trying to focus on anything but everything thats happened.

"Our damsel in distress has returned." Jameson comments from the doorway, walking out and making Grayson finally stop for a break after over an hour.