Chapter 43

Sweater weather by The Neighbourhood

The goosebumps start to raise the minute that my left hand meets your waist. And then i watch your face, put my finger on your tongue cause you love the taste.

When we finally arrived, we had to sit through a two hour car ride to the house. The whole place screamed winter despite it being the middle of the summer. I personally prefer heat to snow but it's so magnificent I have no right to complain. The way the snow gently falls and leaves a thick clean coat on the roof, up the snowy mountains and onto the ground just seems so peaceful. I enjoy the feeling of light snow falling delicately onto my cheeks and nose.

Alisa tells us all about the ski slope and some features of the house but I'm not really listening. I'm sticking my tongue out with Max, both catching snow in our mouths.

Avery decides she wants to check out Skye's room first. Max and I join her unwillingly. 

"Look for hidden compartments," Avery commands "Secret drawers, loose floor panels, false backs to the furniture—that kind of thing."

"Sure," Max smiles unsurely, "Absolutely. That is a thing I know how to do." 

We start searching and Max wonders around a little lost. 

"Look at this. His smile looks just like mine." Avery smiles looking down at a photo of Toby.

Max and I approach her. I wouldn't say they're similar but they both have like.. lips? And eyes? Yeah they don't look alike in the slightest.

"Ave, I'm not trying to deprive you of this but Paris looks more like him than you do.." Max jokes. Avery's smile morphs into a frown, "Never mind.. I see it now. Identical!" Max lies, glancing at me guiltily, despite the white lie Avery smiles again which is good.

We all keep searching eagerly for anything. I open her closet and cough at the dust, the clothes are older than me. How old was Skye when she was last here wearing these clothes? I hear a creak beyond the closet and pull the clothes to both sides revealing a passage way down the middle. My eyes widen and I come close to stepping through before I see a figure. I yelp fearfully when it takes a step closer, coming into the light, "Thea!"

"What?" she says smirking evilly. "Feeling jumpy?" Behind her I see Rebecca standing in front of another doorway identical to the one I'm looking through right now.

"Whose room is that?" I ask.

"It used to be Zara's," Rebecca murmurs. "I'm staying here tonight."

"Good to know." Thea turns to her.

"I found something." Thea tells me as I lead Avery and Max through the passage "And you're welcome."

It's pretty right in the small passage with the five of us but I manage to kneel and see what Thea is holding, a small plank of wood. A floorboard.

"What is it?" I ask.

"A glass bottle?" Max leans in to Thea to get a better look. "With a message inside. A message in a motherfaxing bottle! Now we're cooking."

"Motherfaxing?" Thea raises a brow at Max, then stands and urges me back to Zara's room. 

She tips the contents of the bottle onto a desk and a small piece of paper falls out. Thea attempts to unroll the old looking paper without breaking the delicate artefact in half.

"I'm guessing that's pretty old," Max says.

"Like, twenty years?" Avery asks.

I peer over the paper closely, its cursive writing, careful, which could suggest it's written by a female.