Chapter 42

Labyrinth by Taylor Swift

You know how much I hate that everybody just expects me to bounce back.

Avery and Max have got it in their heads that travelling to Colorado would be a good idea. Something about 'true north' and another clue they want to follow. 

I sit on Avery's bed cross legged as Avery and Max ask Alisa about the will.

"When the will says that I have to live in Hawthorne House for a year, what does that mean exactly? What constitutes living at Hawthorne House?" Avery asks.

"Why do you ask?" Alisa replies simply.

"Max and I were looking at the binder you gave me. At all of those vacations homes."

"Absolutely not." Oren butts in. "It's too risky."

"I agree," Alisa says. "But since I have a professional obligation to answer your question: The will's appendix makes it clear that you may spend no more than three nights per month away from Hawthorne House."

"So we could go to Colorado." Max smiles excitedly.

"Out of the question," Oren kills her mood.

"Given what's at stake here, I concur. What if circumstances prevented you from returning on time?"

"Today's Saturday. I'd only be gone for one night."

"What if Max and I go?" I suggest. Avery eyes me, considering it. "Could she?" Avery asks Alisa. 

"Well yes. But given the recent threats received do you think it would be a good idea to send your sister on a joyride where none of us can protect her?" Alisa asks.

"I would have security with me and if you don't trust your own security to protect me then that's on you." I argue teasingly.

"She's got a point. If you don't think I'd be safe why should i be punished for your lack of security measures?" Avery shrugs innocently. 

Max and I both 'Oooooh' jokingly. 

"What if there's a storm?" Alisa suggests. "What if you're injured? One thing goes wrong, and you lose everything."

"So do you." A voice from the doorway says.

I turn around to the door. A girl with a blouse and khakis stands wearing a braid in her brown hair. I almost don't recognise her to be my own sister.

"Libby?" Avery asks, equally as confused as me. 

"Is that a French braid?" I ask, terror running through my body. "What happened?"

"You make it sound like I was kidnapped and forcibly braided." Libby laughs.

"Were you?" Avery asks, only half joking.

"You were just telling my sister that you can't allow her to do something?"

"Go to Colorado," Max clarifies. "Avery owns a house there, but her keepers here think traveling is too big a risk."

"It's not really their decision, is it? Until Avery's emancipated, I am her guardian."

"And I control her assets," Alisa replies. "Including the planes."

"I guess they could fly commercial." I smile.

"No," Alisa and Oren both respond in perfect unison.

"Did it ever occur to you that Avery needs a break?" Libby says "From..." Her voice catches in her throat. "All of this?"