Chapter 40

Traitor by Olivia Rodrigo

God, I wish that you had thought this through before I went and fell in love with you.

"Happy Fourth of July." Avery singsongs as she walks into my room opening the curtains harshly. 

"What time is it?" I ask. "9am. We're leaving at 11." she informs me. I open my eyes wider and see Avery smiling brightly. She wears a cute white dress with a blue cropped cardigan and a red headband. 

I stand up and look at my closet door which has an outfit already hung up and ready. After showering I get dressed.

I cringe when I look in the mirror. Denim shorts and an oversized American flag shirt that I tied into a knot at the middle so I look less dumb. I wear my shades and my mothers necklace. My hair is curled with two thin braids at the front.

I grab my laptop and head out.

Libby wears a red dress and white denim jacket, her hair acting as the blue to her look. 

Avery, Libby, Alisa, Oren and I ride together to the parade. When we arrive, there are huge crowds. I check the time. 11:42am. I have 18 minutes until I need to send that confirmation email. I have to talk to Jameson first. 

I leave the laptop in the trusting care of Alisa who places it in her bright red shiny bag. 

I run through the crowds and try to find Jameson. I glance up at the big clock on a tall building. 11:51am. "Jameson?!" I yell through the crowds. 

I keep running and searching. "Jameson!" I yell. 

11:56am.

I need to send that email.

I run back to Alisa as quickly as I can. When I find her I desperately beg for my laptop. She passes me it and I break free from the crowds to the sidewalk. 

11:58am.

I open it up, sitting on the sidewalk. I open my pre-written email. 

I take a deep breathe. 

Send.

It's done. 

I'm going to MAD.

The thought makes me grin and run back to the crowds of people, ditching my laptop in the SUV we drove here in. 

I spot Avery and run towards her. "It's official Ave. I'm going to MAD" I tell her. She pulls me into a hug excitedly.

"Paris?" Jameson asks from behind me. I turn around, my smile instantly dropping. "Jameson" I greet. 

"Can we talk?" He asks, "What do you think we're doing right now?" I joke. He gestures away from the crowds where we escape to.

We still haven't spoken since our fight yesterday.

"I'm sorry. I don't really know what else to say. I was wrong and you didn't deserve it. I love you." He apologises. His tone makes me believe he is sorry but I still feel a little hurt from his words. 

"I love you so fucking much and I know people give you so much shit but I want you to know, no matter what those assholes say about you, I love you and I'm always going to protect you." He says.

"I love you too" I give in, smiling slightly. He grins and pulls me into a hug, he kisses my forehead.

I sigh now, knowing what I need to tell him. I step back.