Chapter 143

Y/N POV

            Flashback

"That doesn't make any sense."

My brows scrunch as I look at the wise woman across from me. There was no need for words. She kept the communication line open and clear.

She lifts her chin at me, her hands coming in front of her to reposition her robes again.

"You will have to break your ties with him—"

"I'm not breaking anything with my mate."

The poor woman looks up at me with fear in her eyes as I stand over her.

I hadn't noticed I had gotten to my feet.

My teeth were clenched tight as I breathed deeply.

A shift in the bond lets me know my spike in emotion had woken Levi on the other end.

My eyes close as I begin to shake my head. I was easily baited. But it was hard not to be when it came to him.

Another tug lets me know he's aware of my absence and is in pursuit of me.

Looking back to Levi's grandmother, I try to calm myself. He'd be here any minute if not seconds.

"I can't break the bond with Levi. We have been through too much as is. It's... It's simply just not an option; it's off the table."

I breathe in deep, trying to calm myself as I force my eyes on hers. I had never been selfish in my life. I have never once failed to carry out an order even when it put my family on the line. But this...

No more. I'd be selfish if I had to; hell, I'd beg. Breathing in once more, I steady myself and speak.

"I want Levi. I love him. I don't want to be without him. I don't care how selfish that sounds. I... I deserve him."

My fingers twitch at my sides as I fight the habit to rub my belly. She was awake again.

Levi's grandmother relaxes in her chair, nodding once at me as she swallows, fidgeting with her fingers as she looks to the door.

"I can't say I know what it feels like to be mated. But I can say—"

"Where are you?"

Levi, he severs her line completely.

I bite down on my lip, slamming my mental shields down into place.

I had to keep him out if he knew what she was suggesting.

I shake my head, not wanting to think about what he'd do.

Not after everything. He'd never allow it.

I don't respond, looking back down at her.

"Is it him?"

She looks puzzled as she shakes her head at me, brows pulling together. I raise my chin to her, swallowing.

"He sensed my anger. He's awake now and he's looking for me. He will be here any—"

"Let go."

Both of our heads snap back to the French doors, listening to the guards beyond them struggle to keep my mate at bay.

My head snaps back, looking at Ms. Azumabito.

"Tell your men to release him. If they don't, he will come through those doors one way or another. He can't be away from me, not since after the war, not after my time in Marley..."