Chapter 140

Y/N's POV

I'm awake.

I've been awake for an hour now, just lying here staring at the ceiling, listening to Levi's steady breathing.

The baby was awake.

Rolling my hips, I try to relax, but the corner of my mouth twitches.

I can't.

Exhaling, I begin to pull myself free from Levi's grasp. Both of his arms were wrapped around me possessively, while his chin rested on my head. He had a leg intertwined with one of my own. I only make it so far before his arms twitch, pulling me closer in, a groan leaving his lips.

When I do manage to slip away, I take light steps into the bathroom. Closing the door behind me, I light a single candle before walking over to run myself a shower. The scent of Levi was all over me.

Standing before the mirror, I shift on my feet feeling Levi's mess from earlier spill from me.

He'd...

We had been...

I breathe in, closing my eyes as I bring my hand up to pull the pin from my hair, allowing it to fall down and around my face. I don't linger too long on my reflection. Not at the sunken cheekbones, not at any of it.

I just didn't look.

Sighing, I step into the shower, standing directly beneath the water.

The candle flickers as I step from the tub. Wrapping a towel around my wet body, I ring out my hair. I step forward to grab ahold of the candle holder before I step through the door.

Peeking my head out and around the door, my eyes find Levi. He was asleep, resting on his back. The sheets draped over his lower stomach. His arm still laid out across the bed in search of me.

He looked tense. Even asleep, he never seemed to rest, he never seemed to relax.

My lips form into a hard line before I pull the door open and make my way past the absurdly large bed. Looking back over my shoulder, I check on him once more before I pull the door open to the outside patio.

Closing it behind myself, I feel the baby kick once more.

My hand rests on top of my belly as I look out over the bay. Biting down on my lip as I taste the salty air. Waves crash against the rocky shore somewhere off in the distance. My free hand comes up, running my fingers over my lips as I look at the moon's reflection on the dark water.

I breathe in again, tasting the salt in the air as my eyes begin to close.

How many nights?

My skin pebbles with goosebumps at the thought.

How many more nights would I get to see something like this? How many more days would I be around to feel the spring air kiss my skin? How many more nights would Felix get to wander into our bedchambers at night?

How many more nights?

I exhale, dropping my hand as a breeze brushes past my legs. I step forward, opening my eyes as I sit down on one of the sunbathing chairs.

I close my mouth, swallowing hard as I try to blink away the tears.

I...

I was going to die.

And die soon.

This baby... no matter how much we loved it...

It was killing me. An unfortunate price I was willing to pay.