Chapter Forty

6th September 2022

Tonight is going to be the loneliest
You're the oxygen I breathe
I see your face
When I close my eyes
It's torturous

Autumn was just around the corner, and so was the release of Older. But now they had their One Night only at the Royal Albert Hall. The Feeling of Falling Upwards was to take place on the eve of the release of their fifth album. Maeve was of course excited for them. This album she knew meant a lot to them, especially with songs such as Older. It held a special place in their hearts and she hoped it would do the same for their fans, the love of their life to one day pass as you grow older. Or even a family member or a friend. There was no specifics, but Luke viewed it as the love of their lives. Maeve.

However, Maeve held up her camera in the field of the long grass. Luke sat at an unplugged piano and playfully played the keys as he smiled into her camera. Maeve wore her huge blue knitted sweater and made the lithe joke to Luke, "could fit two" Luke of course, only rolled his eyes at her attempt of a joke. Though the other three shuffled a laugh. The ring in her finger glittered in the cold sun, she moved away from Luke to Ashton on the drums.

"Looking good as always, Irwin." Maeve complimented and she swore she saw the apples of his cheeks tike a warm pink, and she knew he'd blame it on the early September air. Though it was only cool for now due to the early hours. But she knew in a few, it would be warm.

Maeve hummed softly as the music played in the background and stood beside Ryan. He grinned over at her and patted her shoulder. "This has to be the best song. I love it." He told her and Maeve smiled softly and gave his arm a soft squeeze.

"I'm glad. It truly is beautiful. Luke is the one to thank." Maeve sighed and he nodded and turned to where Luke sat.

"That's where you're wrong. Without you, this song would not exist. Luke would be well, not the Luke he is now. You saved him, Mae. I hope you that. He was afraid. Everything that has happened in the last few years, the last few relationships really hurt him. They all gave him a hard time, and you have nothing but love and care. To him. To all of us. You see both sides. You listen. And Luke, that's all he ever needed. Just someone to finally open their eyes and listen to him. To have someone to open his heart and bring down his walls. To learn to live and love again. I think if the fans knew, they'd love you more and have a lot of thanking to do. And maybe some, might even think again before saying something shitty." Ryan breathed out and Maeve stared up at him in pure shock. Ryan usually kept to his leg and quiet when she was around, but looking at it now. He was always observing. He was a great photographer and that's why they had him. For photos and music videos. He always saw what others never did.

"I...wow." Maeve blurted and Ryan chuckled and pulled Maeve into his side.

"So thank you for this beautiful song, Mae."

"Let's have Maeve and Luke by the door. The perfect shot in my opinion." Ashton suggested and Maeve glared over at Ashton. He snickered and grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the set.

"Not my face. I don't know if I could handle that." Maeve blushed and Luke knitted his brows together and held her arm.

"You're beautiful. Shut up." Luke stared down at her face and watched how her lips pulled into a smile, though a frown sat on her face.

"Thanks. But I'd rather not show my face." Maeve sighed softly and Luke nodded and ran his hand up her arm before he turned her around to look out the door.