Chapter Fifteen

One months later
~18 weeks~

Joshua Tree had finished and Luke was back at his apartment and he did not feel one ounce of happiness like he did before. He hadn't heard from Maeve, he left a few messages. Always told her goodnight and asked how she was. But she hadn't seen them. None of them. He barely slept at night, he'd work out and push himself until he was ready to drop to the floor.

He just wanted to know if she was okay. If she was doing better than he was. Most likely. He thought. Staring at the beer bottle in his hand, he grimaced to himself in pure shame. He hated drinking his problems away, but each time her name was mentioned by the boys, or if they asked if he was okay. He just wanted to curl to the floor and cry. It truly was like a dark hole in the middle of his chest, each day getting bigger and more painful. The apartment didn't even feel the same, her energy and light was gone from there.

So with one last gulp, and standing to his feet, he poured the last of the beer into the sink and threw the bottle away. With a heavy sigh, he grabbed his laptop and flipped it open. Like knew he wanted a life with Maeve, there was no doubt about it. He wanted to start over, and maybe this would be best.

Maeve hadn't been any better, she laid in bed with a Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream and watching some movie okay on the TV. She hadn't gone to the second scan, Eliza offered to tag along with her but something didn't sit right with Maeve. She wanted Luke to be there, she loved Eliza but having Luke there would make her feel better.

But it just wasn't that, the second scan was also the baby's gender. Maeve knew Luke deserved to be there to know. She also noticed that her bump was slowly starting to come through, she would often if not most nights, talk to the baby and make smooth rubs across her bump.

However, today, Maeve was dressed and sat in the living area. Eliza was making lunch for the two of them in the kitchen, and Eliza could see the back of Maeve. How tense her shoulders were and how her gaze was not even focused on the TV but the wall instead. Her brows always furrowed in a frown.

Eliza had kept in contact with them all, Calum told her about Luke and vice versa. But Eliza never said a word and she hoped Calum did the same, but maybe one of them would do something if they both knew they felt the same. Eliza lets out a sigh and grabs the two plates of sandwiches and takes them to the living room.

"How are you feeling today?" Eliza asked as she sat down beside Maeve and handing her a plate. Eliza had to nudge Maeve's arm slightly to grab her attention, and Maeve flinched and looked up at Eliza.

"What?" Maeve asked, her voice hoarse, maybe her first word of the day or even in a few days.

"How are you feeling today?" Eliza repeated, and watched as Maeve's shoulders dropped and her eyes fell to the plate as she took it from Eliza's hands.

"Okay, I guess. I don't know how to feel, if I'm being honest with you, Eliza." Maeve swallowed the lump in her throat and kept her gaze to the sandwich on her plate.

"I've seen the way he looks at you and the way you look at him... it's so pure and true. And most of all, it's real. I think his feelings for you were always genuine." Eliza told Maeve and watched as Maeve's breathing pattern changes and her eyes immediately closed.

Eliza chewed at her lip and decided to tell Maeve about Luke. Eliza knew when enough was enough, and Maeve deserved to know just as much as Luke does too about Maeve.

"Well...Maeve. Lu-" but Eliza's words were immediately cut off by the knocking at the door. Eliza mentally rolls her eyes and hands to her feet. "I'll be right back." Maeve nods and sits back and bites into the sandwich and blinked away the tears in her eyes already.