Chapter Sixteen

The white baby grow was soft between her fingers, her finger following the patterns and going over each button. "So tiny." Maeve mumbled to herself and looked to the other one beside the one she was holding. This one was a faded white that was littered with Disney's Mickey Mouse and friends.

"This one's my favourite." Maeve looked up and held out the grow to Luke. Disney was Maeve's favourite genre, she loved the classics and the old Disney. Maeve also loved the idea of Disney Love, how they'd be swept off their feet and have a happily ever after. Maeve could only hope, hope that her writer was just as nice as Walt Disney and gives a happily ever after. To be in peace.

"Yeah?" Luke asked with a smile and took the outfit from her hands. Maeve nodded and watched as Luke felt the fabric beneath his fingers before placing into the basket that was already full of little baby outfits and first toys. Luke had specifically picked out a certain stuffed toy. A baby penguin, it was crocheted grey and white, with a little yellow scarf and top hat. Maeve had immediately fell in love with the small plush just as Luke did.

As Maeve and Luke started to walk towards the cashiers, a screech was heard and Maeve immediately tinted her head to the commotion. Only to see five girls standing a few feet behind them, phones in each of their hands and aimed towards her and Luke. "Shit." Luke muttered and pulled Maeve forward and turned to face the five girls and gave them a small tight smile. Maeve hid the basket behind her back, but she had an inkling that they already knew what was in the basket, and probably already spotted them when they were in the baby section just a few minutes ago.

Maeve also gave the girls a small smile before looking down towards her feet, hoping, praying, they didn't know.

"Hi Luke!" One of them finally took a step forward and Luke turned his head slightly to Maeve and his shoulders slumped.

"uh...Hi. I'm really sorry, but me and...Maeve need to leave." Maeve's head immediately raised and she frowned up at Luke and looked to the girl who nodded with a face that Maeve couldn't decipher.

Luke turned to face Maeve but she was already glaring up at him. "It's okay. Go take a picture with them." Maeve pushed Luke slightly and the girl smiled softly.

"Are you sure?" Luke asked and Maeve rolled her eyes and shot him a small smile.

"Of course." They each took a photo with Luke and Maeve had kindly offered to do a group photo, she placed the basket behind her as she grabbed the phone from one of them.

"Say 5Sauce!" Maeve giggled and they laughed and repeated Maeve's words and she immediately took the photo. Though Luke never said the words, his eyes purely focused on the woman before him. His smile was no longer a tight closed smile, but a cheesy grin at her words and the soft laugh that had escaped.

Maeve handed back the phone to which the girl thanked her for with a wide smile and rushed back to her friends. Luke bent down my slightly and grabbed the basket and stood beside Maeve, keeping the basket hidden as he waved them goodbye.

Once the girls had gone and Luke had made sure they hadn't lingered, he looked down at Maeve and directed her towards the queue with his hand on the small of her back. Maeve frowned slightly as they walked down the line and then stopping.

"What?" Maeve whispered and he scoffed but kept his hand on her body and pulled her closer to him.

"You didn't have to do that Maeve. I just wanted you to be happy and safe. They can be nasty when they want to be, and nothing goes unnoticed." Luke told her and his frown disappeared but a look of concern flashed across his eyes as he looked down at her face.

"Well, I want you to be happy too. They seemed nice to me, I'm not a little girl Luke. I can take care of myself, but I do appreciate what you do for me. But, they're your fans, I wouldn't dare step in front of that for you or your fans." Maeve told him and took his hand that was resting on her back and placed her hands in his, giving it a small squeeze.